Author Topic: TSUNAMI, WHO CARES?  (Read 5999 times)

TSUNAMI, WHO CARES?
« on: January 02, 2005, 07:53:27 PM »
To any body reading this, ukfssart, fire-fighters man on the street or 'management'

We are not chomping at the bit to get out there.
We are not ambulance chasers or thrill seekers. We don't care about politics, diplomatic relations or scoring points.
We have the skills to make a difference,  search and rescue, medical, we can set aid camps up, sort out water purification we have boat handlers and swift water rescue technicians. Logistics and more, much much more.

We have two qualified paramedics in our team and 6 of us have recently completed the Medicine In Remote Area Course at ex-med (fantastic do it if you can). Christ, there is enough medical knowledge in my team alone to set up a field hospital.  Vital skills that have been specifically requested by desperate, desperate governments.

And I know because I have been lucky enough to work with most of them that all the other teams are as highly qualified and as professional as my own and I 'WAS' proud to be a part of the UKFSSART organisation.

I start my first day back  tomorrow and will have to defend UKFSSART from the watchroom politicians and comedians-not an easy task when we have been kept in the dark and have no answers for ourselves let alone the workplace jury-I AM ASHAMED.............

We could have made a difference albeit only as much as a couple of dozen human beings can. But we could have made a difference, perhaps I will get a chance to hand tents and hotcans out.

I will close now, go back to the TV and try not to shed tears in front of my wife watching the reruns of fathers carrying the bodies of their children.

See you on the 'apron'?
Otto, S. Wales.

TSUNAMI, WHO CARES?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 08:29:24 PM »
Be patient, once the wheel starts turning it will take a long time to stop. You and your team specializes in search and rescue and dare I say not search and recover, unfortunately on this occassion there would have been very little of that to do.
But now your other skills will come to the fore and you will probably have the opportunity to put them into practice.

From a fellow UKFSSART member

TSUNAMI, WHO CARES?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 08:52:16 PM »
Doug
 Rescues were still being made 5 days after the incident

Offline otto

TSUNAMI, WHO CARES?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 09:38:44 PM »
Doug, impatience is not an issue here  I believe UKFSSART should have done their job.

I would have felt this way even if I was not a member, just as all the critics on my station feel. Even friends and family are asking Q's.

We will all get a chance I know, that is not the issue I am trying to raise.

What do you think of the info we have/not recieved?

Why do you believe search and rescue was not applicable here? A young girl was rescued yesterday clinging high up in the branches of a tree. Day before yesterday Keith and andy were involved in rescuing 10 people from a collapsed hotel basement. Day before, the news showed a man being pulled from under a debri pile. A six week old baby, was found floating on a mattress. The news is full of these 'miracles'. How many more?

Doug we are on the same side here search and recover goes hand in hand with search and rescue Its everything we have trained for.

All the best otto

TSUNAMI, WHO CARES?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 09:39:27 PM »
RE: Keith and Andys deployment.

Apparently the 10 casualties rescued from the basement was over-enthusiastic journalism. Sorry for mis-quoting.