Author Topic: halogen bulbs  (Read 27792 times)

Offline potter 2

halogen bulbs
« on: December 01, 2003, 02:41:08 PM »
has anyone got any good info,or know where i can find some, on the small halogen ceiling lights(the ones that come in packs of 5)being responsible for loft fires when they are open above the ceiling then have ,say,a plastic bag full of cotton quilts put on top,would they get hot enough to ignite the bag ...probably 50 watts

Offline Mr. P

halogen bulbs
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 08:34:51 AM »
Have not seen instances of fire but, these bulbs both 240 and 12 volt get too hot to the touch (as with any bulb). Have seen cases of some oxidation at connector, and, one where the wiring was coming apart. This was highlighted by light going on/off for seemingly no reason until very close inspection. There was some brown/blackening evident on plastic. So caught in time?

Offline GeoffR

halogen bulbs
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 05:28:05 PM »
I believe that these devices are hazardous if not properly installed. As has been said, they get extremely hot in normal use, and if they are exposed at the rear (top) to being covered then the risk of fire is significant, particularly if the material is a good heat insulator (e.g. your bag of quilts). The device will lose any ventilation it might have had and is likely to rise very quickly to a much higher temperature than its (already high) normal.

They look very nice, and I have some around the house, but with careless use I think they are highly dubious items. The creations of the devil.

Offline potter 2

halogen bulbs
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 08:57:34 AM »
thanks a lot..got the perfect answers direct from Osram (the bulb makers) they have a very good advice line.. got an answer to all my questions in less than 12 hours,,,basically 2 inch clear all the way round  and they gave me bulb temps at various points on the bulb,,

halogen bulbs
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 10:55:07 PM »
Recently when visiting a relative I noticed one of these bulbs go off, and shortly afterwards, come on again, on closer investigation in the loft I found that the transformer for the lamp [ one per bulb in this case] had been fitted leaning against the bulb housing, and began to melt considerably, luckily the occupier had only used the lights in this room for brief periods, [ 30-45 mins at a time] and the heat build up had never led to complete ignition, If I hadn't been sitting on that particular side of the table on that night , who knows? [ I'd guess a through the roof Job! ]

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
halogen bulbs
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 07:41:36 AM »
There was a housing estate where a downlighter was fitted in the bathroom of each house (very trendy).

With modern building regs there is a layer of insulation about 200mm plus on top of the ceiling and this was drapped over the light fitting (240 volt I think) contrary to manufactures instructions.

There were no problems until a small boy in one family started toilet training (bless). Dad left the bathroom light on all night so little johnny wouldn't be scared. Middle of the night - smoke alarm goes off (building regs again!) whole family gets scared. Not a big fire because the insulation was rockwool so they just had some smokey PVC cable but it diid mean that every lamp in every house had to be changed.

Offline potter 2

halogen bulbs
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 02:10:15 PM »
very simalar to my fire ,but a plastic bag of duvets directly on top,,,total roof and upstairs gone.Local building control now very tight on checking for intumes covers

callpoint

halogen bulbs
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 05:55:47 PM »
I cant remember which manufacturer it was but there was a recall on them because of the bulb housing was over heating  and ignighting, also I had an experience where a display stand with this type of lighting was packed full with teddies and one of the teddies had a perfect scortch mark on its back from the radiating heat of the bulb, very close call.

Offline Andy Cole

halogen bulbs
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 10:27:50 PM »
We had a job last year where some loft insulation had been smoldering on a newly installed Halogen lamp, fortunatley the occupier smelt the burning and called us, luckily enough they got away with some scorched insulation and a bit of a smokey attic!

Graeme

halogen bulbs
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 02:25:40 PM »
i don't trust them full stop.Especially the ones with transformers that are chucked up above the ceiling.
I have seen the connections which have been too close to the lamps turn into crumble and the insulation of the cable likewise.
They look nice but are deadly in the hands of d.i.y'ers.