Author Topic: What is an FRA  (Read 1994 times)

Offline jokar

What is an FRA
« on: December 03, 2008, 06:28:03 PM »
I thought necause of the information in a couple of threads that are current and maybe geting a little testy, I would ask us what we think an FRA is?

Is it making a prmises safe through following the guidance standards?

Is it dealing with fire hazard and fire risk and implementing control measures that take into account these things?  (The guidance can be used as control measures but so can managed procedures)

Is it a little of both?

I personally believe that the CLG 5 steps is an audit approach and could be part of an FRA if used in conjunction with something like BS 8800 or a risk matrix that demonstrates that risk reduction mesaures actually reduce the risk to people.

Your thoughts will be good debate.

Offline CivvyFSO

Re: What is an FRA
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:05:55 PM »
An organised look at the risks and hazards in the premises. It should point out the hazards and the risks associated with the hazards. It should identify where people are at risk, and it should prioritise the measures deemed necessary to eliminate or minimise the risk. It should also point out what is already in place protecting relevant persons.

A risk matrix is effective esepcially when used to create an action plan stating hi/medium/low priority etc.

I have seen some great ones, done in a simple systematic format by hand, and some terrible ones all wrapped up in fancy folders, on facny paper, "qualified" assessor etc. (You know the type, 30 pages of standard text followed by a tick box that would about pass as a daily checklist)

Offline Clevelandfire 3

Re: What is an FRA
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:35:06 PM »
Youve hit the nail on the head for me there CivvyFSO in terms of the principles required in conducting a proper risk assessment. To expand further I think it is important also to describe or qualify certain statements or decisions made in the assessment especially if they are controversial or go against normal or accepted guidance, or if you have a simple yes /no tick sheet template. As far as Im concerned it demonstrates that the assessor knows what he or she is talking about and tells an auditor the thought processes that assessor has gone through to arrive at an informed decision. In terms of how the assessment is recorded and resented is another matter, I think it needs to be as brief as possible without missing out any detail, i think it has to be to the point, and easy to follow with the significant findings listed at the very begining with the body of the assessment that backs it up at the back. i say this particulalrly because the RP and auditor won't have the time or interest in pouring over dozens upon dozens of pages.I'm not one for using risk matrices because whilst they will generally give consitent outcomes I sometimes question their accuracy and have never been able to quite understand how a point difference can mean a medium risk or high risk outcome, but thats me, whatever works works.As an IO id look at the sig finding of a FRA first to see what the RA has picked up. Id then walk around and if i thought the RA had missed anything or was frankly a waste of space thats when I would look at the body of his assessment to see exactly what was assessed.