Author Topic: Live fire training  (Read 8700 times)

Offline The Colonel

Live fire training
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »
Before I invest in the equipment to undertake fire safety training  using live fire (Propane fuel) I would be grateful if those that undertake this type of work would advise me on the following.

When arranging insurance cover for this work did your company/broker have a fit or give you a sensible quote and roughly how much do you pay in addition to your normal insurance to cover the live fire training?

Any recomendations as to which insurance company/broker to approach? rather than breach any forum rules an email would be great.

Any additional info would be welcome, thanks

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: Live fire training
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »
Hi Colonel
I researched this but did not take it up because I now hire a unit complete with insurance, driver and operator when I need to use one. However when I was looking at buying one of the portable rigs I initially made the mistake of using the term live fire which frightened the insurers. They seem to have a fear and blanket ban on terms like live fire. Instead call it a fire simulator training unit and let them have a safe system of work with your initial approach. It aint live fire - its a controlled simulation of a class A, B and C fires using propane gas. When I spoke to my broker in these terms he became quite optimistic that my public liability insurance for trainers would cover it.

Offline The Colonel

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:42:25 PM »
Kurnal

Thanks for that, using fire simulation seems a better way of putting it, and the public liability might be a good angle. Did mention it to my broker some time ago about insurance for the portable simulators that fit into the rear of a car and the answer came back that it may look like a phone number.

But there must be a reasonable cost effecrtive solution somewhere.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:57:01 PM »
I did see a unit at the Health and Safety Expo in Birmingham last year which is an electronic system. It is a panel which shows a flickering fire and the extinguisher has an electronic beam.

To train with it the trainee has the extinguisher and operates it as a real one and then points it at the panel. If the trainee operates it correctly the fire dies down, if not it carries on growing. The 'extinguisher' can be programmed to mimic the different types of extinguisher water, DP etc.

Obviously the trainee is not in any danger and if you use a smoke gene they can tackle a fire in a room with smoke.

I didn't go any futher as I suspect the price would mean if I tried to get for the place I work at the FD would roll around the floor laughing.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline stevew

• http://firesureuk.co.ok
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:03:15 PM »
Hi

Ref Mikes comment.

I recently emailed a company named BullEx who advertise the type of equipment mentioned.
They called me from New York State and quoted me £6000.00.

Looked impressive however I will stick to my propane system. 

Offline The Colonel

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »
Steve

Seen the Bullex system but didnt realise it cost that much, how do you come off with insurance on your propane system?

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:16:33 AM »
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Mushy

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 06:36:49 PM »
Just found this one...might be worth giving them a ring and ask about insurance

http://www.stafffiretraining.co.uk/fire-training-med.html

messy

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 12:11:37 AM »
£6000 for that fairground game???  ???

No smoke, no fire, no heat and the trainees are not even using an extinguisher they are likely to have in their workplace. What the hell is the point other than a marketing gimmick for the training company, which you don't need to haul around a heavy LPG rig and cylinders??

It's all sounds like Bullex to me. ::) Surely in real terms, it's no better than a 'cold' demonstration where trainees let of proper FFE in a car park. (or have I missed the point?)

Midland Retty

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 03:01:33 PM »
I think I  probably agree with you Messy

If you are going to carry out live fire training then I think it's best to get 'hands on' with the kit you are most likely going to use in the workplace.

Classic example is the sound a CO2 extinguisher makes when activated - it always alarms people who have never used one. Plus people sometimes dont realise how heavy extinguishers are etc etc.

Then again I suppose this type of kit "ticks the boxes" for being clean and environmentally friendly and claims to reaxct as a live fire would.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 04:34:07 PM »
I would like to announce to the world that I have made an enormous breakthrough in the area of fire extinguisher training. This new method of mine is pollution neutral, 100% safe and clean for the users and is very easily transported. "How on earth did you do that NT you clever thing?"  I hear you all ask.

Well, with the trainee in the middle of a room, I stand in any corner with a red rag and when he is least expecting it I shout out "Yoohoo, I'm a fire and I'm over here" and frantically wave the flag. The trainee points an imaginary fire extinguisher at me and goes "Schhhhhhhhhht" until I stop shouting and waving the flag. Because it is so portable and adaptable I can then go to another room and do the same thing again. It can even be used to train many at the one time.
The system can be enhanced by hiding behind a box or cupboard and then taking the trainee completely by surprise, even from behind.

What ya think people?

NB. This process is patent pending and any attempt to copy all or any of it will mean that the potential thief is a cuckoo and needs help.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Midland Retty

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 04:38:07 PM »
Wow thats pure genius NT

Where do I sign and how soon can you start?

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »
I dont like to stifle initiative but you really havn't though this through at all NT.
I suggest you re-evaluate your equality and diversity policy and the realism of the scenario.

For a CO2 extinguisher the term "Schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtststssssssssss" would more accurately reflect the application and encourage a maintained discharge. For water "Schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsplubschhhhhhsplubsplubsplub" would be mre realistic.

In terms of race and language issues you may need to review your standard phraseology.

Instead of "Schhhhhhhhht" Persons from some parts of Eastern Europe should be offered the chance to use terms such as "CZZZCIEWCZ" and if you are training in Wales "LLLLLFAIRPWYLLLLLLLLOGOGOCH" may be better.

You must try harder if you are ever going to make a living in this game.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 06:30:37 PM »
I dont like to stifle initiative but you really havn't though this through at all NT.
I suggest you re-evaluate your equality and diversity policy and the realism of the scenario.

For a CO2 extinguisher the term "Schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtststssssssssss" would more accurately reflect the application and encourage a maintained discharge. For water "Schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsplubschhhhhhsplubsplubsplub" would be mre realistic.

In terms of race and language issues you may need to review your standard phraseology.

Instead of "Schhhhhhhhht" Persons from some parts of Eastern Europe should be offered the chance to use terms such as "CZZZCIEWCZ" and if you are training in Wales "LLLLLFAIRPWYLLLLLLLLOGOGOCH" may be better.

You must try harder if you are ever going to make a living in this game.
I am surprised at you K. You missed one of the very fundimental elements of this training aid which sets it apart from the rest -  its simplicity. If you have a different self made extinguisher sound for each one you run the risk of confusing even the most competant of mime artists. The Schhhhhhhht is in Esperanto and in order to keep everthing very, very simple I have another patent pending, optional extra, element of this which involves the instructor not stopping waving the flag if the trainee gives the wrong tone of Schhhhhhhht.
Should you wish to buy a licence for my training aid you can, with my express permission, use your strange and totally pointless, if I might add, sound effects. 

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 06:37:08 PM »
Wow thats pure genius NT

Where do I sign and how soon can you start?

As you are the first to order MR you can have it at my cashback offer. Please forward me your credit card details including the security number so that I can refund £200 to your account when you start to use the system.