Author Topic: Controlling Smoking Risk in MH Units  (Read 4779 times)

messy

Controlling Smoking Risk in MH Units
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:05:46 PM »
For those who have experience in healthcare (and in particular mental health- what methods have you introduced to control the risk of smoking in mental health units where the clients display extremely challenging behaviour and as a result, are approximately 101% non compliant when it comes to smoking rules?

In this case, some clients chain-smoke nearly all day/night. Since the removal of all internal ashtrays, the building is peppered with literally hundreds of burn marks on all surfaces and there has been at least one two known fires (known as the afd operated but staff suspect there have been others).

Attempts at restricting access to smokers materials have only been partially effective as some clients have access to local shops and simply act a 'tobacco pusher' supplying the others with what they want. Attempts at controlling access to client's money has been met with some complaints from relatives and patient's groups and has been abandoned.

So how do you compel compliance in a group when you have no tools to discipline or sanctions to apply??

The health trust appear to be sticking their collective fingers in their ears and simply tell the staff to manage the smoking ban. The staff feel frustrated that senior managers have simply passed the buck and see fear if they mention being unable to manage clients it will be seen as incompetence. So they run around all day chasing smokers whilst others light up on the other side of the building. It's got to a stage now where the staff are becoming anxious as they fear they will be held liable in the event of a fire tragedy.

Currently extra fire training and additional fire audits have been introduced as a control measure. In the absence of controlling the occupants, I would like to see the environment better protected by sprinklers or water mist. But that is sheer fantasy as there's more chance of Gordon Brown staying PM after the next election than there is this trust digging deep into it's pockets.

Any ideas??

Offline nearlythere

Re: Controlling Smoking Risk in MH Units
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 06:54:53 PM »
What I have done recently, with the support of the premises manager, is to include the smokers as specific risks in the Fire Risk Assessment which they are.
The control measures amounted to therapy and counselling to help them stop to the removal of the "risk" from the premises.
I'm not sure yet as to the consequences but should find out by next review.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Brian Downes

• 'he must always carry his appliances with him'
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
Messy,
          Reccomend that the RP considers accomodating his patients in a sprinkler protected building. If management controls fail, the sprinklers will reduce the risk from the resulting fire.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit

messy

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:31:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

As far as reducing the risk by smoking counselling: These clients are up at the more challenging behaviour end of the MH continuum and although assistance is offered, many are too poorly to understand or able to be motivated to attend.

I totally agree sprinklers or water mist (either throughout or protecting escape routes) is the best method. But it's almost impossible to imagine the trust investing that sort of cash.

I have had a struggle getting them to increase the frequency of, and beef up the staff fire training due to the costs involved. Similarly, they refuse to employ more housekeeping staff to (for example) empty the clients bins more than once a day.