Author Topic: Proposed Amendments to Building Regulations 2000  (Read 7475 times)

Offline Roy

Proposed Amendments to Building Regulations 2000
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:33:13 PM »
You may be aware of this already, but a bill is being proposed to the House of Lords concerning an amendment of Building Regulations 2000. The amendment would make it a requirement to install an automatic fire suppression system in new residential premises. It will receive it's second reading on 15th January and is being presented by Lord Harrison.

Please see the link below to review the proposal

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2009-10/buildingregulationsamendment/documents.html

Offline CivvyFSO

Re: Proposed Amendments to Building Regulations 2000
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:23:02 PM »
I wasn't aware of this at all. Must have been lurking around behind the scenes hoping to go unnoticed.

I wonder if the people building the cluster type student accomodation still want to class the students room as domestic now?  :-X

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »

I have been aware that the welsh assembly have been trying to introduce something similiar for some time didn`t think it would ever happen.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:51:17 PM »
What do you think they are referring to Residential (dwellings) or Residential (Institutional) or both?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »
Residential dwellings it seems.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 10:01:44 PM »
What "residential" means is one of the things that has been raised in Westminster.

The Welsh afairs committee asked if Ann Jones was happy that her Order would cover all resi buildings (dwellings, care homes, hotels etc).
As you might expect she was happy although I doubt that was her original plan.

I think the Private Members Bill uses the same or very similar wording.