Author Topic: BAS  (Read 6906 times)

Offline stevfire2

BAS
« on: April 26, 2010, 08:43:44 PM »
hi, does anyone know if the British Antarctic Survey still have their own, or any aviation fire protection? i have seen that their original vehicle has been withdrawn, has it been replaced, and is the fire cover,(if any), still army?, or open to civilians. trained some army guys up to low cat ticket, (dispensation as not done at tee-side) in the 1990"s and curious to know if its still on the go.
                                           steve                                                                                       

Offline SeaBass

Re: BAS
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:40:54 PM »
Steve,
I know someone who works for BAS and have sent them a mail. I'll let you know what they say.

Offline stevfire2

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:13:26 PM »
thanks ruby, that would be great. :)

Offline SeaBass

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:57:23 AM »
Steve,
BAS’ main base in Antarctica (Rothera) has a hard runway which can take some very large planes like Hercules (evidently take off can pose problems for the some of the larger aircraft) Although it’s quite a busy landing strip with aircraft of various nationalities flying in from Chile, it is not classed as a commercial or international runway by the Overseas Territories bit of the CAA.   Consequently all the BAS have to provide is a good standard of fire service, which they do in house, presumably on a retained /part time basis.  Army, RAF and Navy staff visit Rothera but have no official permanent presence. 

BAS also have to provide a fire fighting capability on their two ships and have trained BA wearers, but there’s no information on the fire vehicles I’m afraid.   

Offline stevfire2

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:14:52 PM »
thanks for that ruby, much appreciated. i have an aviation qualified mate who fancies something different. please "keep your ear to the ground"for anything further. thanks again,
                                                                                           steve