Author Topic: Dual agent application  (Read 8838 times)

Offline ct_alex

• COMMITTED TO AIRCRAFT RESCUE AND FIRE FIGHTING
Dual agent application
« on: June 30, 2010, 04:27:43 AM »
Dear all,

I would like to know how dual agent application is carried out in aircraft fire fighting? It will sure bring the fire under control quickly, but how it is done is unknown to me. Please help.

Offline Username

Re: Dual agent application
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:35:12 AM »
Dual agent (dry powder/foam) is used to deal with fuel spills typically associated with an aircraft crash, refuelling incident or possibly in the petrochem industry.

The theory is that you use the dry powder element to rapidly knock down the flame, and then you secure the spill by applying foam thereby preventing reignition.

The system I used was on a helideck. Basically the twin agent branch was two in one, you could either select dry powder or foam via two seperate triggers, the delivery nozzles being mouinted above each other in the same 'gun'.

Offline stevfire2

Re: Dual agent application
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:22:29 PM »
we would typically use dual media on pressure fires,such as helicopter rotorheads,or fires in confined spaces. cone down a non aspirated branch spray so that it just covers and contains the fire, then put the nozzle of a powder extinguisher just into the cone and discharge it. the powder is carried to the seat of the fire, usually putting it out in a second or two.
                                                                       steve