Author Topic: FireCode and LIFT  (Read 5849 times)

BryanC

FireCode and LIFT
« on: June 02, 2005, 04:29:28 PM »
Has anybody any experiences to pass on of applying fire standards to LIFT projects which you will all know is a hybrid building type, often with reduced / modest clinical activities and often with a high proportion of commercial office or similar type of space.

I have recently been asked to consider the implications of infection risk for somebody having a 'minor' procedure ie dental or podiatry clinic, lumps and bumps surgeries and the like.

The thrust of my question is.. what is the relevence of FireCode in these circumstances in buildings which are often replacing the same service carried out in a house down the road.

I believe the crucial thing to consider is that all patients are 'walking wounded', they are being treated under a local anaesthetic and are supervised by clinical staff.

PS - Its good to see some old names on this forum. I look forward to to interesting replies.

Offline Brian Catton

FireCode and LIFT
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 10:23:52 PM »
I have dealt with one or two of these schemes recently. I do not think that you can design them like an office block because of the wide variety of abilities following or during treatment. I have generally advised increased sub compartmentation in clinical areas so that the patients can initially be taken into an adjacent fire protected area. Although the HTMs are applicable to hospitals I think that some of the principles can and should be applied to medical centres. I believe the key starting point is an occupancy statement and risk assessment from the client. One of the schemes I saw recently had a room called a multi purpose room. I still have to find out exactly what that means.
You cannot effectively assess the fire hazards if there is no clear occupancy statement. However if you do recommend additional separation it will cover the client for most possible uses.
Another aspect of course is the fire alarm system. I would personally recommend an L1 system where patients are in the building.
I think you have to consider all types of disability, physical and psychological.
One of the supporting guidaance documents to the RRFSO is for healthcare premises. Can't wait to see it!!!!
In conclusion I think that the principles advised in Fire code HTM 81 are very relevant.