Author Topic: Voice Fire Alarms  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Voice Fire Alarms
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:06:41 PM »
I read the following article http://www.fm-world.co.uk/news/fm-industry-news/yell-in-case-of-fire/ and despite the research done by Portsmouth Polytechnic for the "Human Behaviour In Fires" it appears voice alarms hasn't taken off. I suspect cost is one reason but are there more.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Midland Retty

Re: Voice Fire Alarms
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »
The main reason as the article mentions is the lack of certification / standards

Another common argument is that VAA systems are not usually "multi lingual" - we still have a considerable amount of people who don't speak english in the UK so a traditional alarm and signage is better.

As far as I'm aware you could programme multi lingual voice messages on a VAA system but it would take valuable time to voice an evacuation message in several languages.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 07:53:09 PM »
Thanks MF but but doesn't BS 5839-8:2008 cover voice alarms?

As for the language problems is it not feasible to have a conventional system supplemented with a PA system or would one system cancel out the other? On reflection, maybe fire marshals or something similar would be a better solution.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:56:51 PM by Tom Sutton »
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Midland Retty

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 03:31:55 PM »
Hi Tom

Sorry BS5839 part 8 does indeed deal with voice alarms, what I meant to say in my earlier post is "lack of robust certification / standards", but I understand that BSi are looking to review part 8 sometime soon, with a view to beef it up a little.

That all said, Im certianly not dismissing the use of voice alarms. They do have their place.

IKEA from what I remember widely use them in their stores.

If you notice, the creche faciltiies at IkEA are always near the front door, so that in the event of a fire alarm the little kiddies are quickly evacuated

This information is relayed in the emergency evacuation message which is broadcast informing parents that their kids have already been evacuated and are safely waiting at the assembly point.

It prevents parents panicing about the weherabouts of the kids, very clever. It is backed up by a fire warden system too, to obviously catch anyone who may not be able to speak english.

Another thing to note is the intelligibility of the alarm system itself. For example have you ever been at a train station where you couldn't make out what the announcer said over the tannoy because the message simply echoed around the station?

This can occur because sound reflects off different types of surfaces or becomes lost in such a big area or sometimes because loudspeakers are positioned too close to each other.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:40:08 AM »

As already mentioned the real issue is cost I am aware of a quote at a football ground of approximately £10,000 to add a voice system

Offline Wiz

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 10:39:07 AM »
Apart from the cost, what is there not to like about voice alarms?

All the voice alarm sounders I have ever listened to, repeat the message between short bursts of a standard fire alarm warning tone. Even if I couldn't understand the voice message (wrong language/unintelligibility) I'm pretty sure I would appreciate it was an alarm signal and realise that evacuation was necessary. The voice message helps with advising those who are not sure what the alarm sound means and/or provides information that is obviously not possible with a tone only.

The non-addressable standalone voice message alarm sounders cost about 4 times the cost of a normal sounder.

I understand that at least one of the major 'open protocol' addressable device manufacturers are working on an addressable version and this is hardly likely to cost 4 times the cost than a non-voice message addressable sounder.

The problem with all the standalone versions I've heard is the sound quality. It seems that only something with a proper cone speaker really provides the sound quality required and it is difficult to fit these in a small housing. The piezo speakers seem to give out a really 'tinny' sound.

In my opinion you can never install too many voice alarm sounders in any area but you will need to spend much time tweaking the volume controls to get the required suitable sound level and best quality.