Author Topic: Water Damage  (Read 4126 times)

Offline lyledunn

Water Damage
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
The recent thaw caused many thousands of pounds worth of damage to a local school. The school was a new-build so i was surprised that pipes had burst in the first place. Turns out that the fire alarm had been activated for some reason which resulted in building services plant being isolated. Perhaps a good idea but not when it also knocks off the trace heating system!
Regards,
Lyle Dunn

Graeme

Re: Water Damage
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
why did the alarm not call anyone out?

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »
I would have thought that someone would have been called, most schools have caretakers who deal with this type of thing.

The other question I would ask is assuming the caretaker was called out, had the caretaker or the person called out been adequately trained in what the system did and how to fully reset it?

From experience I have been on several sites (not schools) where although there wasa a fire alarm fitted no-one had been trained how to work or test the system except in the most general terms.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »
As I understand it, the alarm was responded to and a search carried out. Because it was school holidays the plant required a re-set in order to ensure that that the trace heating etc was restored. This was not done. I guess that the issue of training / instruction was indeed, at least in part a contributory factor. The tax payer foots this not some well-provided for insurance company!
Regards,
Lyle Dunn

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »
A failiure of the power supply to the trace heating, in a modern installation, would be expected to generate a warning. These circuits should be monitored.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »
"The tax payer foots this not some well-provided for insurance company!"

Generally a lot of councils do not insure their premises on the grounds that the premiums are frequently greater than the average annual costs and they cover the costs themselves. It is a similar situation to that of a young driver whose annual insurance bill is greater than the value of the car!
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 10:40:20 PM »
This is an interesting story and it doesn't surprise me at all.  We can blame the lack of training and/or the inadequacies of the actions of the caretaker but, for me, the root cause is the complexity of the system requirements.  If the system had made it simple for the users to understand what had happened so that they could take remedial action, an awful lot of trouble would have been saved.

Now, I'm not saying that the designers should have foreseen this failure and taken appropriate precautions - it's very easy to do that with the benefit of hindsight.  But hindsight is a terrible thing, no good to anyone, it only serves to point fingers at unfortunate individuals who have done no more or less than you or I would have done under the same circumstances.  What can be done is that we can learn from experience. 

There are two lessons for me, the first is that care should be taken to ensure that trace heating is not isolated during cold spells.  The second, and more important one, is the more general reminder that systems should not expect too much from their human counterparts.  You can have the most complex and comprehensive automated system in the world but add a human element and you have to start anticipating failures.

How can a designer successfully anticipate all the potential problems that are introduced along with the humans?  Well, they can't.  But they can do their best by talking to the existing users of systems similar to the ones they are designing.  Talking to the caretakers and the handy-men and the people who test the fire alarms and the associated systems, talking to the people who actually run the systems might help them better understand how to make systems that are less prone to human failure than some of the ones we see today.

Stu