Author Topic: Care home fire procedure  (Read 18312 times)

Offline mrbretmaye

Care home fire procedure
« on: June 25, 2005, 10:52:04 PM »
Our procedure states that staff must:Go to zone indicated and investigate if their is a fire or not, if their is a fire then that staff member should begin to evacuate.

Is this right, that a member of staff should investigate the fire or should all staff evacuate right away.

robertB

Care home fire procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 03:56:20 PM »
I've thought about this senario recently, when our frs asked us to reduce Uwfs, and to delay calling 999 when the alarms are activated and to send staff to investigate first. I had visions of nurses climbing into roof voids at 2 in the morning, going into plant rooms and boiler rooms, opening fire doors without checking  behind them first. Priority must always be to the safety of our clients/patients Do not take risks, yes (my view) investigate within reason, not on your own though use buddy system, set a max investigation time ie x minutes. Thinking about it  we would not evacuate our own home when the smoke alarm goes off, but investigate first, unless you could smell smoke or see the fire. I've told our staff if in doubt get them out. Risk assessment comes to mind. Be interesting to see others comments

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Care home fire procedure
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 09:52:14 PM »
I'm with Robert, some training would be a good idea. There have been cases of people being killed investigating an alarm but this is very rare.

The idea of standing out in the street while residents are sitting in bed wondering what's going on just seems bizarre to me.

Offline martyn brandrick

Care home fire procedure
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 01:33:11 PM »
a lot of this is to with the time of alarm. in the evening when there is minimum staff the first and most important action will be to call out the frs.  if during day time and there is maximum staff then investigating the alarm before would be ok if the ra is suitable and sufficient to allow procedure.

Offline Brian Catton

Care home fire procedure
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 07:00:49 PM »
Ok Marty you have called the FRS then what? Staff must be trained to check as much of the habitable premises as they can and then move residents to a place of relative safety in an adjacent sub compartment or at least to a position where there are two FR doors between the fire and the residents. Of course I am talking about a significant fire. OOPS there I have started a new debate. Definition of significant. a fire that produces heat and /or smoke that cannot be effectively contained by the existing fire resisting structure, or extinguished quickly by staff The problem in care homes of course is that some of them have been designed like hotels so that the sub compartments are too large. (if they have them) I know there is guidance but perhaps there are some regulators/fire advisors who do not understand the concept of progressive horizontal evacuation and the importance of effective fr sub division.
I am not advocating that staff go into areas that are usually only entered by maintenance staff. The type of fire alarm system is the other factor. If it is not addressible the staff can be left somewhat in the dark as to the exact location.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Care home fire procedure
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 09:32:45 PM »
Picture the scene . Firman Sam and his mates turn up in their big red lorry at sunny meadows care home. Sams boss (cant remember his name) approaches the staff who are all standing outside catching a chill. "Whats happening inside?" -  " Dunno we all came out here when the alarm went off"

Sam goes in to investigate in full BA - and finds the residentsa are braking into the medicine cabinet!

Or alternatively they have all died from smoke inhalation from a silly little bin fire.

Offline dave bev

Care home fire procedure
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 10:58:13 PM »
Fire alarm 'was silenced as man burned to death in bed'

By Brian Hutton
newsdesk@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

05 July 2005
STAFF at a sheltered housing complex in Belfast repeatedly silenced a fire alarm while a paralysed resident was burning to death in his bed, an inquest has been told.

John Collins (47), formerly known as Frederick Joseph Sweet, had been living in a one bedroom flat at Greenville Court, Bloomfield, for around 18 months at the time of his death.

Firefighter Gary Kernaghan told a Coroner's Court yesterday that when he arrived at the scene of the fire on August 31, 2001, Mr Collins was kneeling on his bed as three-feet tall flames licked around him.

He suffered burns to around 75% of his body which were so severe that he could only be formally identified by dental records.

The former security guard, who was confined to a wheelchair after a series of strokes, also suffered from depression, diabetes, epilepsy and angina.

The court heard that he smoked up to 100 cigarettes a day.

The fire alarm at the complex, which houses 34 residents in self-contained units, was first activated at 9.32pm that day, and then again at 9.34pm and 9.35pm, each time being turned off by a staff member.

Senior Carer, Ethel Gray, said she told Care Assistant Jacqueline Montgomery to run to Mr Collins flat to check if there was a fire or if it was a false alarm, before she phoned the Fire and Rescue Service from her office.

Firefighter Gary Kernaghan gave evidence that a caller said the fire alarm was probably due to the occupant smoking, but Ms Gray denies that she said this.

There was an "unacceptably high" number of call outs to the housing complex, with the Fire Service attending false alarms almost once a week, he claimed.

Ms Montgomery returned to say that the door into the flat was locked but that there was smoke around the letterbox. Ms Gray then set about clearing other residents into a common room for their safety.

Firefighters using breathing apparatus broke into the flat through a window and pulled Mr Collins outside where he was given first aid before being taken to hospital where he later died.

Coroner Deborah Malcolm concluded that Mr Collins died from extensive burns and that he may have had an epileptic fit or some type of turn when smoking in bed.

She said there was a delay of just over two minutes in contacting the Fire Service but it was doubtful if the outcome would have been any different had the call been made sooner.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Care home fire procedure
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 09:05:08 AM »
Sheltered housing is quite a different scenario from a care home. And not the coroner's final comments. Interesting though, Davey I do have to admit.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline dave bev

Care home fire procedure
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 09:18:53 PM »
col, there are many issues that arise - i only hope everyone learns from this and improve the things that need improving (we may have different views on what and how!) and i offered it for information with no comment and no hidden agenda (and no i know you didnt suggest i did, but there are others that might!)

dave bev

Offline colin todd

Care home fire procedure
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 09:26:14 PM »
Davey, If I am honest, I did fleetingly wonder about agenda,but then knowing you as I do, I decided on the genuine nature of the info. Anyhow, I was aware of this incident and quote it sometimes myself! Its a very interesting case of yet again false alarms not just being about disrupting the lads when they are busy playing pool, but about them being jolly bad for fire safety in premises.

Offline dave bev

Care home fire procedure
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 06:29:26 PM »
mr todd, we really do need to work on your political correctiveness training programme!

dave bev

Offline colin todd

Care home fire procedure
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 06:59:03 PM »
?????? What have I said wrong now?

Offline dave bev

Care home fire procedure
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 10:43:02 PM »
'the lads', and i ignored the comment re the real president in a different post related to all matters scottish!

dave bev

Offline Brian Catton

Care home fire procedure
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 07:54:40 PM »
I am sure that by lads Colin was using the legal masculine interpretation taken to mean of either and/or no particular gender.
Say yes Colin and put the shovel down.