Author Topic: Fire Risk Assessment Training  (Read 25199 times)

Offline Allen Higginson

Fire Risk Assessment Training
« on: June 06, 2011, 12:09:21 PM »
As i am being made a man of leisure on the 24th of this month (made redundant) I am looking at my options,and having read a number of FRA's from different sources that are nonsense at best I'm looking a bit of advice - is there a fast track way of becoming a fire risk assessor??

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
Re: Fire Risk Assessment Training
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:00:23 PM »
When I was at Moreton (4+ years ago) we used to do a week long course with the NEBOSH fire exam at the end.  If you wanted to go on a register of fire risk assessors I think you could do this after you had demonstrated your competence by providing a number of FRAs you'd completed.  They may still run this course so it would be worth enquiring.  It won't be cheap.

Stu

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »
IFE allow a fast track process if you complete an IFE approved course.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:23:45 AM »
Sorry to hear of your bad news Allen but from the quality of your previous postings I would have thought your inside out knowledge of the alarms sector would have made you hot property and a sure target for any major alarms company. But in terms of a change of direction into fire risk assessment the IFE website gives a number of companies that offer fire risk assessment training and in setting up from scratch franchises are available that provide you with all you need in terms of IT and a recording and reporting system.

I looked at the IT solution offered by this franchiser and thought it quite impressive but too much of a change to adopt in my established business. But it may be worth thinking about if starting out though.
http://www.thefranchisemagazine.net/page/fire-compliance-safety-ltd/new-uk-franchise-opportunity-launched.php

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:44:01 AM »
Is this the company that NT highlighted a few months ago regarding one of its franchisee in NI?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
I really dont know if the companies are related Tom. But Bob is a good guy and his risk assessors course is accredited by the IFE.

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 01:48:28 PM »
I am looking at my options,and having read a number of FRA's from different sources that are nonsense at best I'm looking a bit of advice - is there a fast track way of becoming a fire risk assessor??

Is this because after seeing how bad some risk assessments are you think "I could charge for churning out this drivel too."?

Seriously though, the fast-track way of becoming a risk assessor is to simply retire from the fire service with no risk assessment experience at all. It seems to have helped some people become risk assessors. (This is not to say that good work is produced from these people, but they are certainly capable of emitting the drivel that you seem to have seen) Also, If you can lead any meeting with "When I was a D.O" then you can probably be a Fire Engineering Consultant.

Actually, that wasn't very serious at all. Sorry if I have not been helpful.

Offline ahmedh

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
I am looking at my options,and having read a number of FRA's from different sources that are nonsense at best I'm looking a bit of advice - is there a fast track way of becoming a fire risk assessor??

Is this because after seeing how bad some risk assessments are you think "I could charge for churning out this drivel too."?

Seriously though, the fast-track way of becoming a risk assessor is to simply retire from the fire service with no risk assessment experience at all. It seems to have helped some people become risk assessors. (This is not to say that good work is produced from these people, but they are certainly capable of emitting the drivel that you seem to have seen) Also, If you can lead any meeting with "When I was a D.O" then you can probably be a Fire Engineering Consultant.

I have seen quite a few job descriptions where fire service experience is a prerequiste or highly desirable (although they never think to stipulate in what capacity).

Midland Retty

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »

I have seen quite a few job descriptions where fire service experience is a prerequiste or highly desirable (although they never think to stipulate in what capacity).

Quite, and it is not always a good thing. Some firefighters will have you believe that until you have ridden the big red truck with flashy blue lights and experienced as many towering infernos as they have, you can't possible know anything about fire.

That may be true when it comes to firefighting, but it certainly isn't the case when it comes to fire safety. Fire safety and firefighting are two very different things, and you don't need firefighting experience to competently carry out the former. The latter certainly doesn't entitle firefighters to think they are automatically competent at fire safety.

My advice is to get yourself on an accredited IFE accredited risk assessment course, as a foundation then gain some practical experience risk assessing various low risk premises. Depending on what course you choose will determine what level of premises you are competent to inspect.

Slowly build up to more complex and riskier premises and then consider more indepth accredited risk assessment courses if required.

Being competent means you know when something is too complex for you to deal with, and that is the time you can then look at additional training needs and attending courses to address those needs if necessary.

Offline colin todd

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 10:15:19 PM »
Alan, we will be doing a fire risk assessment course in NI soon, as the one we did last week was over subscribed and we need to o another.

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 11:32:40 PM »

Actually,you have nailed it exactly why I am looking at it - an office being advised to install an M system and installing battery smokes in the corridor,with the view to upgrading to mains detectors that will be linked into the system of MCP's and sounders just about swung it for me!!

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 11:35:33 PM »
Alan, we will be doing a fire risk assessment course in NI soon, as the one we did last week was over subscribed and we need to o another.
Thanks Colin - I'm pushing for a retraining payment at the moment due to various reasons but keep me posted.I'll send you through my new number Colin as I'm getting rid of the present number.
I will have a good luck at the alternatives given and cheers to all for taking the time.
Allen
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:08:02 PM by Allen Higginson »

Offline colin todd

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 07:15:12 PM »
Al, if the chips are down, we would help you out with a Toddy superdeal!

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 10:12:19 PM »
Al, if the chips are down, we would help you out with a Toddy superdeal!
The chips are not only down but the croupier has his rake heading towards my pile!!

Offline hughmccafferty

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 11:03:08 PM »
Can I get a "Toddy Superdeal"? And when are you next training in Scotland Colin. Your course has been highly recommended.  hugh
No hill too steep! No ditch too deep!