Author Topic: Detection standards in Operating Theatres  (Read 12674 times)

jakespop

Detection standards in Operating Theatres
« on: June 06, 2011, 12:19:51 PM »
 As far as I am aware all theatres in a hospital that I deal with have detection but they are heat not smoke. I am inclined to ask for them to be changed to smoke. Anyone had any problems with accidental actuation from smoke detectors in this type of environment?
HTM Part B indicates that detection may not be required at all in Operating Theatres subject to Fire Risk Assessment. Opinions? 

Offline ahmedh

Re: Detection standards in Operating Theatres
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »
As far as I am aware all theatres in a hospital that I deal with have detection but they are heat not smoke. I am inclined to ask for them to be changed to smoke. Anyone had any problems with accidental actuation from smoke detectors in this type of environment?
HTM Part B indicates that detection may not be required at all in Operating Theatres subject to Fire Risk Assessment. Opinions? 

Why?

In main theatres and minor ops areas i would still be inclined to have heat detectors (as we have L1). To my mind, its a bit like a kitchen environment in respect to detector type  ;D

Obviously it would depend on your fire risk assessment.

Offline tmprojects

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:40:44 AM »
why have smoke?

what is the benefit?

a surgical theatre is not usually the risk but the place that needs protecting. i.e. a theatre needs extended evacuation times to ensure any operation is not interupted.

i woulld not expect any operation theatre to have sd.

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »
SD in operating theatres would be continually operating (excuse the pun) by the smoke produced by the cauterisation process.

We had a similar problem in the 80’s at a local private hospital and the heads were changed to heat.

The last thing needed during an operation is for AFA to activate needlessly putting the team off and / or a crew of unsterile firefighters to pile in.  ;D
Sam

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »
While in use would not the occupants know the theatre was on fire surely detection is for when the theatre is empty and heat would be adequate for that and reduce the possibility of false alarms.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Midland Retty

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »
From HTM05-03 Part B:

4.6 A Category L2 or L3 system should be provided
for healthcare premises other than hospitals.
A category L1 system should be provided
throughout all parts of hospital premises.
However, detectors need not normally be
provided in the following areas:
voids and roof spaces of any depth which
contain only:
(i) MICC or wiring clipped to a metal tray
or within metal conduit or trunking;
(ii) non-combustible pipework and ducts;
(iii) metal or plastic pipes used for water
supply or drainage;
bath/shower rooms;
toilets in staff areas;
small cupboards (less than 1 m2);
operating theatres.
In any case the omission of detectors should be
subject to a risk assessment.

But please do note the last sentence regarding risk assessment ;) ;)

Offline ahmedh

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »
True the guidance does say not normally in op theatres, however there this existing detection which personally i wouldn't be keen to do away completely with but that is my opinion on the ones i have assessed. If you do advocate removal, is it reasonably practicable?

As it is L1 you would have smoke detection outside the op theatres. Nuisance alarms can be an issue within the theatres themselves for instance washing down or diathermy (although they should be using a scavenger system).

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:56:31 AM »
Why would diathermy cause a nuisance alarm?  :-\
Sam

Offline ahmedh

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:12:30 AM »
Why would diathermy cause a nuisance alarm?  :-\

burning flesh?

http://www.hugh.letheren.org/Operation_pics/diathermy_smoke.jpg

For minor bumps and lumps removal on the head/neck, if the doctor asks if you have used hairspray, tell the truth  ;D You don't really want a Michael Jackson pepsi moment.

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »
Interesting….. I didn’t know they used the dielectric effect to raise the temperature to that level in surgery. I realised they used electro surgery techniques with high frequency electrical charges through probes to cauterise and cut, But using microwave generators to destroy lumps and bumps seems a bit violent.  :o

Still I’m no doctor  ;D
Sam