Author Topic: FRA - NI  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Allen Higginson

FRA - NI
« on: October 03, 2011, 03:57:09 PM »
Was asked to cast my eye over a system for a friend in portables,which was recently installed following a FRA on a commercial unit comprising of shop floor space of 12 x 16 metres and an equivalent storage area split in 2 with a final exit in a smaller store.
The FRA had raised emergency lighting (or lack of) and that there should be a means of raising an alarm in the event of fire plus smoke detection.
Had a look at it today and found the following -
(i) All cables installed using plastic clips and cable ties
(ii) Control panel installed in the back store out of the road
(iii) Standard plastic fused spur
(iv) Mains supply fed from 13A socket via a 13A plug on the end of the FP200!!
(v) One sounder circuit
(vi) 3 Battery powered smoke detectors (no mains)

As a courtesy, the portables guy phoned the owner of the shop for me to let him know (in case he wasn't aware of the quality of the install).
Turns out he is happy with the installation as the bell rings when you activate the break glass unit and he wasn't under any obligation to have the fire alarm system installed in the first place,no one will ever have to see it again and that was that as far as he was concerned - he doesn't even have to get it serviced apparantly..

Offline nearlythere

Re: FRA - NI
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »
Was asked to cast my eye over a system for a friend in portables,which was recently installed following a FRA on a commercial unit comprising of shop floor space of 12 x 16 metres and an equivalent storage area split in 2 with a final exit in a smaller store.
The FRA had raised emergency lighting (or lack of) and that there should be a means of raising an alarm in the event of fire plus smoke detection.
(v) One sounder circuit

As a courtesy, the portables guy phoned the owner of the shop for me to let him know (in case he wasn't aware of the quality of the install).
Turns out he is happy with the installation as the bell rings when you activate the break glass unit and he wasn't under any obligation to have the fire alarm system installed in the first place,no one will ever have to see it again and that was that as far as he was concerned - he doesn't even have to get it serviced apparantly..

Allen.
Portables? Is this techno talk for something?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:23:06 PM by nearlythere »
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »
(v) One sounder circuit

Allen.
Portables? Is this techno talk for something?
I'm sorry.I should have said door stop guy!

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 11:57:54 PM »
Deja vu! I've seen this post somewhere before!

Portables = BS door wedges = Fire extinguishers!
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:18:36 AM »
Deja vu! I've seen this post somewhere before!

Portables = BS door wedges = Fire extinguishers!
Just wanted to see the different perspectives to this Anthony,coming from the tools side of things myself.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »
I can beat that Allen.

Yesterday found a four storey shop with a single staircase.

It had originally had a mains powered alarm system with break glasses, bells and mains magnetic hold open devices on the staircase doors. At some time in the past (probably 20 years ago looking at the panel) someone has installed a 5839 part 1 system (effectiely L4 plus a few detectors). And they had kept the old 240 volt system in place and live, installed a relay interface between the 5839 and the 240 volt system so the doors, still retained by the 240 volt magnets, close on operation of the 5839 system.

I was called in because an earth fault had occurred and the metal case of the 5839 system was giving people shocks. So they wanted an risk assessment to identify how it should be replaced. I found the casing live at 240 volt potential and called in an engineer.

The last company to maintain it had not commented on any variations.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:07:14 AM »
I can beat that Allen.

I was called in because an earth fault had occurred and the metal case of the 5839 system was giving people shocks. So they wanted an risk assessment to identify how it should be replaced. I found the casing live at 240 volt potential and called in an engineer.

The last company to maintain it had not commented on any variations.

So if the live casing had been noted in the completion cert as a variation and agreed with the RP it would have been alright? ;D ;)

We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.