Author Topic: Combination locks for fire exit doors  (Read 12860 times)

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Combination locks for fire exit doors
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:53:44 AM »
Has anybody any tips please for suitable combination locks for fire exit doors within a care home that cares for people with dementia and alzheimers? I am looking for a simple but effective mechanical combination lock with say just 5 buttons and no need to press Cs and Xs that can be used by staff or visitors in semi darkness etc. The old two opposing door handles has been rumbled and is no longer effective, and the home would prefer to avoid going down the electronic route if at all possible.

It is essential to provide some means of security as several residents are very active wandering through the home and are risk of falling down stairs, especially at night.
I am looking for something similar to the old discontinued Ilco 7006 range that is reliable and simple to operate but they all seem to be much more complicated now.

Offline nearlythere

Re: Combination locks for fire exit doors
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:58:32 AM »
Has anybody any tips please for suitable combination locks for fire exit doors within a care home that cares for people with dementia and alzheimers? I am looking for a simple but effective mechanical combination lock with say just 5 buttons and no need to press Cs and Xs that can be used by staff or visitors in semi darkness etc. The old two opposing door handles has been rumbled and is no longer effective, and the home would prefer to avoid going down the electronic route if at all possible.

It is essential to provide some means of security as several residents are very active wandering through the home and are risk of falling down stairs, especially at night.
I am looking for something similar to the old discontinued Ilco 7006 range that is reliable and simple to operate but they all seem to be much more complicated now.
What about the round door handle with the break off cup? Can't remember the name at the moment.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline kurnal

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »
The doors are in constant use from both directions for staff and visitors NT.

We just want to stop the service users falling downstairs during their incessant wanderings especially at night
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:43:23 AM by kurnal »

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »
The doors are in constant use from both directions for staff and visitors NT.

We just want to stop the service users falling downstairs during their incessant wanderings especially at night
Are alarmed pressure mats any use to help monitor wandering? Can't think of nor can I recall seeing anything (acceptable) of a non electronic type K. Best I can think of is a fob lock.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Tom W

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:48:20 AM »
Kurnal

You need the C's on there for cancelling if you press the wrong code. There are locks available where it could be on a timer. Using a push button it could be opened by everyone throughout the day up until "lights out" then it could only be actuated by A N Other method.

Thats the only thing I can think of and Ive had a look about. Either that or you use a system of tracking either by a monitoring mat or the bracelet systems so the door can only be used after a certain time by people who have/do not have the bracelet

Midland Retty

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 10:23:16 AM »
Kurnal

Its something that has been accepted in the past. Only thing to be wary of is that some mechanical -digit locks can prove troublesome and often "jam" - one care home I dealt with had three stick in the space of a week. I always thought they were fairly reliable. Their estates manager said it was fairly common problem at some of their other homes.

So long as the locks are "tested" regularly and any problems with them reported immediately, and the code is easy for staff to remember I don't see any problems.

Offline jokar

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:38:50 PM »
I know that they are in use and frequently put in for the exact reasons that have been stated.  However, my sausage fingers always put in the wrong code/numbers and not in pressure moments.  Do we really think it is acceptable in care home that may need a quick evacuation?  I know lots of homes have PHE and some a defend in place strategy but the ones with a simultaneous evacuation strategy may be the wrong ones for that type of lock.

Offline BLEVE

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »
For a very good reason, key code locks are not generally accepted in my jurisdiction.
I would be very slow to accept or recommend such a device on an escape route or fire exit door :o

Offline kurnal

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:33:01 PM »
Do you have any other ideas for solving this problem Bleve?

I am aware of two cases where confused elderly people have opened a door to a staircase and fallen to their death.

Ideally you could say that if a home is to be registered for the care of persons with alzheimers or dementia they should be single storey. Also  that some care homes are patently not suitable by reason of steep staircases etc but these homes are out there and often giving a good level of care and support, as service users faculties decline is it appropriate to unsettle them and move them from somewhere they are settled and happy?

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
Is this not a prime example of a time when security is an overriding issue, and when probabilities of injuries to fire and injuries to falling down the steps/escape etc are weighed up it is safer to have a mag lock that only releases upon activation of the fire alarm?

Offline BLEVE

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 08:06:23 PM »
TBH
AS Civvy states, and as per my local FA, magnetic lock is the preferred option.

Offline BLEVE

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 08:08:31 PM »
I would reckon the stair landing was not of sufficient dimension to prevent the individuals in question from falling down the stair.

Offline BLEVE

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:14:20 PM »
Care home has a duty of care to provide a safe means of access and egress to employees and others.

Is it foreseeable that a patient would open a door and step onto a short stair landing only to fall down the stair case??

Is it reasonably practicable to foresee and prevent such an incident????

I think so......

Offline kurnal

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 09:38:04 PM »
I agree the landing size could be a factor but the building is what it is. Conversion of a 150 year old building.

I recognise that magnetic locks, key pads and interfaces to the fire alarm with zonal cause and effect to ensure that the doors relase where the fire is and not elsewhere (perhaps with key overide instead of green boxes for obvious reasons as a variation from 7273-4) may be the best technical way forward but I am hoping to find something simpler.

Zonal cause and effect would be essental. Theres only 3 staff at night and they will go to the location of the fire alarm leaving folks in other zones to wander without supervision whilst they deal with the cause of the alarm. Elderly and confused people are not necessarily slow on their feet. Whilst I was there  checking out the EL over the front door an old lady of 91 shot past me and tried to get out of the front door fortunately the staff were watching for her.