Author Topic: Hypnotism Act 1952  (Read 4988 times)

Midland Retty

Hypnotism Act 1952
« on: October 27, 2011, 11:15:14 AM »
Ok this is a bit of a bizzare one...humour me please...I can hear the sniggers already, and will await the ridicule and flack in equal measure but here goes....

The Hypnotism Act 1952 states that where stage hypnotism is being carried out it should be licensed by the Local Authority.

Has anyone here ever had any dealings with licensing of venues for hypnotism using this act and in particular is any consideration given to several members of the public whom may be...well erm... in a hypnotic state and how they may react in an emergency?

In other words I guess what Im asking is this - does the licence under the act work similar to a liquor license in that certain bodies need to be consulted in the intrests of public safety before the license is granted?.

I ask for legitimate reasons, as I may in the near future be dealing with such an event and wondered if there were any specific requirements (other than the usual for licensed premises / places of large assembly) to consider.

Look into my eyes, not around the eyes.

Offline Demontim

Re: Hypnotism Act 1952
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »
section 1 (2) is included within the repeals section of the Licensing Act 2003, so by inference standard licensing provisions apply.

Offline Paul2886

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »
Go to any night club and you'll probably find most in an 'hypnotic' type trance. Who is responsible for the fire safety issues in this case.....yes the staff

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »
From what I know about hypnotism, the volunteers (vicitim?) are only in a highly suggestible state of mind and something like a fire alarm would bring them out of the trance.

Hence althoug you could probably hypnotise a member of the banter bar into believing he was actually in the bar, telling him to buy a round, would bring him straight out of the trance unless it was very carefully set up. 
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Midland Retty

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 04:26:57 PM »
Cheers Mike!

I have heard the odd anecodotal tale regarding hypnotised subjects, Ive also done a little background research which seems to suggest that some hypnotised volunteers may not react to a fire alarm once hypnotised, and might only react if instructed by the hypnotist.

There are some other unsavoury tales floating around, which in some way led to the Hypnotism Act being brought into existence and modified over the years, not something I'd usually worry about, but the venue doesn't lend itself to marshall led evacuation for the hypnotist (who is using pyrotechnics) and his subjects should something kick off. Oh well perhaps Im looking to deeply into it all.

Anyway it's friday afternoon...I must buy everyone a drink at the banter bar... i must buy everyone a drink at the banter bar ...i must buy...(etc etc)

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
Cheers Mike!

I have heard the odd anecodotal tale regarding hypnotised subjects, Ive also done a little background research which seems to suggest that some hypnotised volunteers may not react to a fire alarm once hypnotised, and might only react if instructed by the hypnotist.

There are some other unsavoury tales floating around, which in some way led to the Hypnotism Act being brought into existence and modified over the years, not something I'd usually worry about, but the venue doesn't lend itself to marshall led evacuation for the hypnotist (who is using pyrotechnics) and his subjects should something kick off. Oh well perhaps Im looking to deeply into it all.

Anyway it's friday afternoon...I must buy everyone a drink at the banter bar... i must buy everyone a drink at the banter bar ...i must buy...(etc etc)
Yes. Lets all go to the Banter Bar and get hypnotised, comatosed, and whatever else we can think of at 10pm.
On the other hand MR's buying so expect to be going home early and sober.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:33:46 PM by nearlythere »
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Midland Retty

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 04:38:01 PM »
Harsh but true   :D

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 05:21:33 PM »
You are feeling sleepy ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

;D
Sam