Author Topic: Fire Safety Guidance in Small Warehouse Storing Whiskey in Barrels  (Read 5959 times)

Offline GB

I am looking for guidance for the above e.g travel distances, compartments sizes, fire alarm and suppression recommendations - any suggestions ::)
As you can imagine with it being the beautiful amber liquid best sipped slowly with a touch of water (releases the flavours!) this is in windswept Scotland ;D

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: Fire Safety Guidance in Small Warehouse Storing Whiskey in Barrels
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:33:42 PM »
The risk is so high the only way it can be made tolerable is if they appoint a residential fire risk assessor.

Offline DavyFire

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:13:22 AM »
Hi, Fed up clearing up after other so called fire risk assessors (earlier posts) so I wish to apply for this residential position. I only drink for medicinal purposes, but unfortunately I have a lot of medical problems! Anyway, I want the job but as Jim can no longer fix it for me, I appeal to Kurnal, go on fix it for me.
DavyF

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 08:34:54 AM »
Have you checked the Scottish guidance? These are Storage Premises class 1 and there is a table that advises you that your travel distances should be appropriate for a fast evacuation in such storage buildings including those used for whisky.

BSEN 12845 annnex G6 covers sprinklers for spirits stored in wooden barrels.

Presumably your concerns are in respect of life safety or are you considering property protection as well?

Theres some useful info on fire risk in the distillery itself and the properties of whisky here:
www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2003/hsl03-08.pdf

There is also an old guidance booklet on bonded storage buildings  which I think was published by the FPA or its predecessors. It was a little A5 sized booklet published in the 1970s with an orange white and brown cover. Someone on here may have it - if so I would be very grateful for a copy!

The FPA also publish document RC20 that deals with the storage and use of flammable liquids
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:52:47 PM by kurnal »

Offline Davo

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:18:27 AM »
GB

One of the main principals of H & S COSHH Regs is reduce the risk by reducing the stock levels.

I suspect you will have plenty of volunteers to help with this ;D

davo

Offline GB

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
Many thanks folks for your assisitance - alas I am a strange Scotsman who doesnt drink whiskey due to a particular evening when I had so much of the stuff I am now unable to smell it without flashbacks of what I like to call my porcelain megaphone period :-[

I have a two way travel distance of 20m which the AHJ appears to be happy with in lieu of detection but wanting sprinklers as well. I have been asked to justify without the specific requirement for sprinklers as the client wants to put a hybrid sprinkler system in to protect the stock which is within a small warehouse for very select stock (he isn't too worried about the building!). I only have 4 employees within the property, all familiar, hopefully none will be asleep perhaps the 'taster' who may take his job very seriously! There will be no members of the public in this particular area.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:19:26 PM »
If it is in scotland, there is no E in whiskey (sic).  Unless they have started to distill Irish whiskey in Scotland.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline facades

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:06:33 AM »
And I have several places available on a hair splitting convention if anyone is interested  >:(

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »
I have several on a spelling and grammar convention.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »
Whisk(e)y is so conventional  :D
Sam

Offline jokar

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »
Get Mt T to drink the alcohol then no problems!