Author Topic: BS 5906:2005 Management of Waste  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Phillip L

BS 5906:2005 Management of Waste
« on: December 16, 2011, 03:35:26 PM »
Hi,

I have been asked to look at proposals for a small indoor storage room to hold about 8 wheeled bins on the ground floor of a cinema.

The bin store is accessed off an escape stairs via a short lobby (3m), through two sets of doors, I do not know the standard of doors that are proposed to be fitted. There is a roller shutter door to the outside from within the storage room.

No indication of ventilation and there is to be an electrical cabinet as it is described at the end of the access lobby.

Having done some research I keep getting directed to BS 5906. As this costs over £100 I am hoping that to keep the overheads down one of you learned gents/ladies could let me know what the BS says regarding such a compartment.
here's hoping
Phillip L Norfolk

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: BS 5906:2005 Management of Waste
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 04:30:41 PM »
I had a look via my local library.
Its another of thse BS documents that just sets out the obvious for the most part. Like locate the store at vehicle access level or provide a lift.

It recommends one hour fire resistance to to the structure and a steel or half hour wooden door, with security device and hinges that dont get damaged if the door swings open in the wind.

There should be 0.2 sq m of  fly and vermin proof ventilation with openings at high and low level. This should not be louvres if the door is required to be fire resisting.

Offline Phillip L

Re: BS 5906:2005 Management of Waste
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »
Thanks for your speedy reply,I appreciate it.
Regards
Phillip L