Author Topic: Hospital Fire Training (again)  (Read 9291 times)

Offline lingmoor

Hospital Fire Training (again)
« on: July 20, 2012, 03:03:54 PM »
Hi

could any hospital fire safety advisors on here tell me if you do the same face to face fire training every year or do you change the presentation?

If you change it, do you keep the fundamentals in, such as FFE, action for fire alarms/fire and evacuation procedures

cheers

Offline nearlythere

Re: Hospital Fire Training (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:13:57 PM »
Hi

could any hospital fire safety advisors on here tell me if you do the same face to face fire training every year or do you change the presentation?

If you change it, do you keep the fundamentals in, such as FFE, action for fire alarms/fire and evacuation procedures

cheers
You can change the presentation Lingmoor but you still have to cover the relevant areas to ensure that employees are made aware their responsibilities as an employee, the emergency procedures and any measures necessary for them to made aware of so as to reduce the risk of injury or harm from fire.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Midland Retty

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »
What is the purpose behind changing the presentation Lingmoor?

Offline lingmoor

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »
thanks for the replies

the purpose of changing the content is to keep it fresh and interesting...with having mandatory fire training every year, the same presentation would become boring and repetitive...thats the last thing that should happen

The induction session for new staff can obviously stay the same though
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:02:19 PM by lingmoor »

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »
I agree Lingmoor and I fully agree with you that you need to keep it fresh. I have been going back to the same care homes for up to 7 years in a row, theres always a mix of new and long term staff and I would feel really embarrassed in delivering the same package evey year. I keep it fresh - as far as I can- by incorporating lessons learned from fires and prosecutions over the last 12 months, new equipment, aids and techniques that I have encountered on my travels, discussing scenarios that may arise- (what would you do if you were bathing someone when the fire alarm operated and why) practical exercises ( how would we get this service user out of their room on their mattress) and having a walk round with my camera first to take photos and discuss good and bad practice observed. In light of the Royal Marsden, Chesterfeld Royal et al there is plenty of material about.

Offline lingmoor

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
Thanks Kurnal for you well thought out reply.

I've been  showing photos of the londons hospital fires and the latest hospital stats of deaths/injuries ...er I say latest 1995-2005 (not death by powerpoint, just a couple of lines)

Discussing any fires the staff have been involved in (if they want to volunteer it)

Discussing the fire alarm system (continuous/intermittent)  and actions for both alarms and also actions to take if a fire is discovered

Showing the the type of FFE they may use at the hospital, and getting them involved by operating the extinguishers and fire blanket outside

Discussing evacuation (non-clinical and clinical)

Showing the FPA DVD on evacuation and chat about evacuation equipment

I do a shorter induction session once a month for new staff and that stays the same

thats just a flavour of my training that I take every day.

It's good to get different ideas for training, cheers Kurnal

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:43:52 PM by lingmoor »