Author Topic: Occupancy Levels in Swimming Pools  (Read 9198 times)

Offline CWEENG

Occupancy Levels in Swimming Pools
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:15:27 AM »
I am looking into the Occupancy Levels for Swimming Pools, and how normally Able Bodied Persons can then become a higher risk as they may not be able to swim very fast to get out of the pool and to an exit in the event of a fire.
Examples of typical floor space factors in reference documents don’t seem to reference Swimming Pools
I have looked at the usual points of reference BS , Approved. Docs etc and no joy, I Have searched other countries , US Canada, Australia and the Kiwis but as you say figures and approaches vary to H&S with ratios.

Any Additional literature or pointers on this subject would be welcome.
I would be interested in other peoples approach if anyone has carried out a Fire Risk Assessment in a sports centre or similar
containing a pool.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:46:37 PM by CWEENG »

Offline Owain

Re: Occupancy Levels in Swimming Pools
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
There would often be lots of other Able Bodied Persons around to help them out though.

Where evacuation time would really be shafted would be if it's Disabled Persons' Swim Club and there are maybe 20 people who all have to be lifted out of the water on a hoist, one at a time, and transferred to wheelchairs. 

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:35:51 AM »
Swimming pools will generally have a maximum occupancy limited by other H&S factors. I would ask how many they would allow in before turning customers away. Theres a pretty big churn factor to be considered as well.

But in my view generally the pool itself is very low risk - nothing to burn, high ceilings etc. The ancillary accommodation is a more conventional risk whether it be arena type seating, cafe or changing rooms and I would apply places of assembly guidance to those - except the very large arenas.

There are special issues such as Owain suggests but generaly the pools are closed to other users at these times so the staff ratios are better if the equipment is not!

One thing I have found in a couple of older pools and something to look out for is a retro fit lightweight ceiling comprising thin wooden laths supporting a plastic vapour membrane that burns like the clappers and rains burning droplets onto people below.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:56:45 PM »

When I dealt with a new build leisure centre the occupancy of the pool was dealt with using other operating guidance. when this was compared with the safe limits for escape purposes it was clear it wasn`t even a consideration. 

The only thing that it was necessary to consider was how the semi naked users would be evacuated, but as already stated low risk, high ceilings etc most will prepare to evacuate on the side of the pool near to a final exit.