Author Topic: New Installation of Fire detection system  (Read 12737 times)

Offline Anand

New Installation of Fire detection system
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:42:40 AM »
Dear All,

We want to install new fire detection system in our company. We have received two proposals one from Simplex and other from Notifier.

Can anybody help me to suggest which is the best system out of these two.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: New Installation of Fire detection system
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »
We cannot do that as it would be in breach of UK competition Law. I realise you are not in the UK but if you were using UK standards I would give the following advice.
In choosing a fire alarm system you may wish to compare specification such as system category, this may be P1 or P2 for property protection systems or L 1 to L5 for life safety systems.L1 is total coverage with detection in all areas. Are both companies offering the same? Also consider the type of system - addressable or not, and the type of detectors eg conventional point type detectors screwed to the ceiling, beam detectors  or aspirating detectors may be a better choice where access may be an issue or in some circumstances to avoid unwanted alarms. Are both proposals similar in these regards?

Above all ask the question as to who can maintain the system. Some systems are called closed protocol and this means only the supplying company has access to the software and you are then locked into using that company for the life of the system. It stops you testing the market for the best deal in future years. The opposite extreme is open protocol that any engineer can work on. Managed protocol  is a half way house with a choice of authorised companies who are licenced to use and update the software giving you some choice of future maintenance contractors.

I would go for managed or open protocol if I were choosing a system for myself.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:25:12 PM by kurnal »

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »
Good advice from Kurnal.

I'd add that if you are spending a lot then you might want some independant advice on specification. Alarm companies awill tend to sell you a Rolls Royce when all you need is a Ford.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 01:03:13 PM »
At risk of breaching competition law (though I fail to understand how it could be), my advice is not to buy a Ford. I hate Fords.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »
Didn't know they made fire alarms! Some of their cars are pretty good though. I mentioned the competition law as a pre-emptive move to stop the thread going in an inappropriate direction as these things so easily can.

Offline Psuedonym

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 08:08:13 PM »
Personally, any system I had, if surveyed and quoted for by a manufacturer and they offer installation that's the route I would follow. They have the facilities for backup and support.
Far too many so called experts have marvellous websites claiming they can do it all, yet actually use subbies (obviously no offence to subbies) and do not provide any form of support of back up. They don't have the facilities.

Get advice from other companies if you can, who have had systems installed and needed backup or support when the system need tweeking for a specific fault or change in use and listen to their experiences.

As for architects or surveyors........ :-X 
Ansul R102 Kitchen Suppression Enthusiast

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...

Offline PGtips

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »
Whichever one you choose, make sure it is a nice colour and doesn't clash with the existing interior design of the office. :)