Author Topic: BAFE And the electrical industry  (Read 3316 times)

Graeme

BAFE And the electrical industry
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:44:59 PM »
This year has been one of the quietest years I can remember for new fire alarm installations and the majority of enquiries I get now are from electrical contractors looking for supply and commission prices.

My big unanswered question is - why can't the fire alarm industry be treated as a separate trade? And not just lumped in with the electrical bill of quantities?

BAFE loose out as you can rarely find a system installed in compliance and gathering all the certification from all other parties is a joke and never happens in the real world. End result is you don't go down the SP203-1 route. A 5839 commissioning certificate issued with loads on non compliance is issued and no one questions it.

The electrical contractors are generally not interested in Intruder and CCTV as there is no money in the installs and they seem to better regulated as consultants push for third party accreditation.
It seems that electrical contractors are in a win win position as we need them to sign off 240v supplies but they don't need us to install fire alarms.
Is at all just down to money? And will the fire alarm industry ever get its act together?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:46:56 PM by Graeme »

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: BAFE And the electrical industry
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:13:32 AM »
It goes hand in hand with major similar issues in the fire risk assessors sector and the building control sector where many assessors and BCOs would not recognise a none compliant alarm design or installation if it slapped them in the face.

I have just insisted on a ?100k complete reinstall at one brand new student complex in The South East where the initial design and install was not fit for purpose, another smaller site  in Yorkshire which was experiencing 40 unwanted alarms per week due to crass schoolboy errors  and was issued a fire enforcement notice on completion.. I could list a number of other examples. In the cases quoted  final design of the fire alarm was left to the electrical contractor and did not even conform to the architects initial approved fire strategy.

The problems are down to aggressive developers, lack of coordination and communication in the design team especially where the interested parties are based in different countries and never meet or visit the site, unrealistic deadlines in the construction phase leading to all trades falling over each other,  fire engineering consultancies who rather than sending a rubbish design back to the architect contrive trumped up justifications that do not withstand the slightest scrutiny and approved inspectors who are in the pockets of the developers and hide behind the fire engineering report when they should be tearing it up and rejecting it.

The building industry is in the worst state I have ever seen it in my 41 year career. Fire alarms are only one part of the problem, look at passive fire protection,fire doors and structural fire protection, emergency lighting installation all in a similar state. Tie this in with increasing use of timber and especially modular construction and I fear for the future.

But everybody involved is proud to show off their ever increasing collection of badges on their website.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:30:38 AM by kurnal »

Graeme

Re: BAFE And the electrical industry
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:29:06 PM »
Kurnal. Unfortunately there's not much of a construction industry up here at the moment as it ground to a halt this year. It's little projects and every man and his dog going in for them.

BAFE has no clout in my opinion and experience but I agree with its intentions.

But it's the same old story- if you do it right you get panned on price. I have yet to see much evidence of competition specifying EN54-23 VADs as beacons are cheaper. Doesn't help that most manufacturers don't have any on the market yet either.

You don't stand a chance against Sparkies who still think it's okay to use twin and earth cable .