Author Topic: Number of beds in bedrooms in residential care homes.  (Read 15982 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Number of beds in bedrooms in residential care homes.
« on: February 24, 2015, 04:21:54 PM »
I have recently visited a residential care home where there was the odd bedroom containing more than 1 bed. I didn't think this was permissible  under current guidance. Approved Doc B Page 41 3.49 seems to back that up. Have I got it wrong or perhaps there is alternative guidance which does allow more than 1 bed per room?

A recent enquiry any views. I believe the national standards do allow this, to some degree in existing care homes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:25:43 PM by Tom Sutton »
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Mike Buckley

Re: Number of beds in bedrooms in residential care homes.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 05:03:13 PM »
ADB uses the work 'should' not 'must', hence although the guidance is that there should one be one bed in each room it is not an absolute measure. I assume it is to cover circumstances where there is a married couple sharing a room, one of whom needs a hospital style bed with side rails, hence a need for two beds.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 02:27:51 PM »
ADB uses the work 'should' not 'must', hence although the guidance is that there should one be one bed in each room it is not an absolute measure. I assume it is to cover circumstances where there is a married couple sharing a room, one of whom needs a hospital style bed with side rails, hence a need for two beds.

I just want to pick up on how the word 'should' should (must?) be interpreted. I've said this before on here somewhere. It does not simply indicate that the recommendation can either be adopted or ignored (as in, you should brush your hair before you go out in public (so my wife tells me)).  It means that the recommendation should be adopted OR, if not, some other safety feature should be in place that provides an equivalent level of safety.

So the premises in question can have two beds if it can be demonstrated that safety is not compromised by the second bed's presence.  Perhaps it's a spare and not used.  Perhaps one bed is used by an able bodied carer who will only be an asset in case of fire and not a hindrance.  Perhaps it's a couple who simply cannot sleep in the same bed and the twin beds are no worse than an equivalent double bed.

Looking back at the original post I see that the number of beds was unquantified.  More than two would be difficult to justify as equivalently as safe as a single bed.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 07:52:19 PM »
But is the guidance in adb relevant? Is it an existing care home? Adb only applies to new build or alterations.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 09:39:36 AM »
Another document you must consider is the National Minimum Standards for Care Homes for Older People at http://www.dignityincare.org.uk/Resources/Service_settings/Residential_care/?parent=3623&child=3554 it allows shared bedrooms.

Check out standard 23.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:16:49 AM by Tom Sutton »
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.