Author Topic: Boiler in the means of escape  (Read 12872 times)

Offline Fire Monkey

Boiler in the means of escape
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:53:16 PM »
Hi,

I conducted a FRA today for a Victorian block of flats (4 flats - conversion from house). 2 flats share a common internal stairwell which is the means of escape - the issue is though is the boiler on the 2nd floor at the top of the stairs. This is not enclosed or protected in any way and the occupants of the top flat have to walk past it to leave the building. The flat doors are not fire rated and there is one domestic smoke detector (working), an out of date extinguisher and piles of flammable material (coats and shoes) on the landing below the boiler. No escape lighting and no borrowed light. I don't think the commissioner of the FRA will be well please with my assessment and action points.

Not looking for advise on this but as usual your comments would be welcome.

Offline Karissa

Re: Boiler in the means of escape
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:30:54 AM »
Pictures or it didn't happen ;)

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:06:10 AM »
Well I guess it's better at the top than the bottom. When you say 2nd floor - is it a 2 storey building or 3? If 2 storey are window exits available? At least only the occupants of a single flat are placed at risk, I have come across new builds with 3 storeys and 12 flats with a communal boiler at the base of the stairs which I insisted be enclosed and ducted to outside.

Offline Fire Monkey

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 11:41:46 AM »
Hi,

Its a 2 storey building. The windows are too high to be used as a means of escape. Glad to hear that your experience and Action Points at the large block of flats mirrors by own instructions for the property owner.