Author Topic: Escape from Escape Rooms  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Olig7

Escape from Escape Rooms
« on: November 01, 2016, 02:54:46 PM »
Hi all,

I wonder what the consensus is in relation to 'escape room' type activity centres. I have been to one recently and as the name suggests, groups are locked by key in a room, which is often dimly lit, though they are provided with torches. They then have to solve multiple clues to open various coded boxes/chests until they eventually find a key that will release the door. Somewhat similar to the crystal maze.

Generally there is only one staff member on site and there can be three groups in three separate rooms, one of which has two doors to negotiate before accessing the MOE. That's four keys to find and four doors to unlock in an emergency. This particular site operates on first floor, with a reception area on ground floor.

I am never a fan of any form of key operated lock and whilst keys are available on the back of each door for occupants to use in an emergency and also with the onsite staff it still doesn't sit right with me. At the same time it seems to detract from the whole enjoyment/challenge of the game to expect thumb turns or just not locking the doors at all.

I also cant think of a good solution but surely there must be a cheaper option than resorting to mag locks with all associated 'fail safes'.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Oli

Offline Owain

Re: Escape from Escape Rooms
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 07:33:22 PM »

ASSA / Union Domes

Imperial Locks' Guardian Lock with break-glass lever release
http://www.imperiallocks.co.uk/fire.htm

Maintained emergency lights / illuminated signage throughout the facility can be held 'off' using a local 240v relay normally-energised from the fire alarm panel. De-energising the local relays will apply 240v to the switch input of the lights, turning them on, or loss of mains electricity will also turn them on.

It might also be possible to use kick-through panels in walls or doors.

Offline Olig7

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »
Many thanks Owain,

Really useful suggestions - I think the Imperial Lock will work best for this situation as it can be locked and unlocked by key from both sides (thus not detracting from the game) but can be overridden with the break glass accessing the lever. Expensive but great bit of kit.

Thanks for your advice and time,

Oli

Offline Owain

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 01:20:56 PM »
I remembered similar being used at university, and a google lead me to
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/estates/maintenance/fire/documents/UCLFire_TN_003.pdf

Offline Owain

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 06:13:19 PM »
And a sad result of not having a proper plan in place:

MORE than a dozen escape room sites have been shut down in Poland after five teenage girls died in a fire.

Prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki yesterday vowed to close such game sites after it was found the locked room where the 15-year-old girls died on Friday had no emergency evacuation plan...

Regarded as an intellectual challenge, the games are highly popular among teenagers in Poland.

Since Friday, more than 200 of the country?s 1,100 escape rooms have been checked, leading to 13 being shut down for safety reasons.

https://www.metro.news/trapped-teens-blaze-tragedy-sees-escape-rooms-forced-to-shut/1381389/

Offline SeaBass

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 12:43:25 PM »
Kick out panels would not be acceptable in a facility where the occupants are not familiar with the arrangement or lay out for means of escape.  There are no recognised standards for kick out panels, and those that I have tested or have seen tested can pose problems for people who are slightly built, who are under five foot tall, who have mobility restrictions or  limited arm movement/strength. 

Equally, as these rooms are occupied by people who are not familiar with the premises, key operated locks and dome covered locks would not be acceptable either, unless a member of staff, who is familiar with the locks, is in the room with the players at all times. In my opinion, the most reliable method of securing such doors would be electrical locks which are linked into the FD&A system in accordance with BS 7273 : 4,   complete with  green break glass overrides.

If this is too expensive, then have ordinary escape door furniture installed which is 'sealed' in the locked position by paper tapes or the easy break security seals that are used on supermarket final exit doors. To ensure that players abide by the rules of the game,  a charge could be levied if the seals are broken.