Author Topic: Sad passing of Kurnal  (Read 5490 times)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Sad passing of Kurnal
« on: April 28, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »
It is with deep regret that the Webmaster, Colin Simpson, and I have to inform the forum that Alan Kurnatowski (Kurnal) passed away on the 17th April.
Alan and I had been chums for a good number of years.  Aside from his role in FireNet, he served for some years on the Fire Risk Assessment Council of the Fire Industry Association, which I chair.  His contribution was very much valued because of his experience in fire safety, his integrity and his pragmatic approach.  When it became necessary for member fire risk assessment companies of the FIA to sign up to a declaration of intent to seek third party certification, Alan did the honourable thing and resigned as he did not intend to apply for third part certification.  I very much missed his support and wise words.

Most users of the forum will be aware of Alan's passion for fire safety.  He was one of the old school in the most positive sense of that term, but, equally, embraced the modern approach to fire safety.  He was always willing to chat at length about fire safety issues well outside normal working hours.  When the FIA were preparing comments on BS 9999, he and I worked together with a couple of others at FIA headquarters until very late at night.

Alan has been a great supporter of the FireNet forum since he joined in 2005 and has made quite a few thousand posts in that time covering a wide subject area and assisting others on the forum.  Everyone knows the enthusiasm he showed towards not only his role as moderator but in helping those with less experience.  He was very reluctant to relinquish the reigns of moderator, but it was clear that the work was becoming too much in the light of his illness, which he faced with the same dignity as demonstrated in his working life.  Only when I promised him that Brian could be trusted to take on the role did he eventually agree to hand over to Brian.

Alan passed away with his wife Susan and children at his side, but before leaving he left a list of things that needed to be done, in which letting Colin and myself know about his death was close to the top, along with a touching personal message for me.

I know that Alan will be missed by the forum members, many of whom have benefitted from his kindness, willingness to help  and generosity of his time over the years.  It is sad to log in and not see his name on the list of others logged in.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Susan and Alan's children at this sad time.  Colin and I are hoping to attend the funeral, and the FIA will, quite properly, be represented.  If any of his many friends wish to attend, Susan has indicated that they will be very welcome.

Funeral service to be held at St. Mary's Church, South Darley on Thursday 4th May 2017 at 3.00pm, followed by cremation at Amber Valley Memorial Park and Crematorium, Swanwick. Family flowers only please. Donations in memory of Alan for the NGS Macmillan Unit at Chesterfield Royal (cheques payable to Macmillan Cancer Support) may be sent to Thomas Greatorex & Sons Ltd.

Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Bruce89

Re: Sad passing of Kurnal
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 05:25:22 PM »
Lovely words Colski, despite never meeting Kurnal in person I like so many others will miss his knowledge immensely.