Author Topic: Class F extinguishers  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Class F extinguishers
« on: June 17, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »
Under BS 5306-8 class B if the containers are less than 2 m apart they are classed as one container for calculating how many extinguisher are required. However class F has no such guidance so in a deep fryer range with more than one pan, less than 2 m apart, do you calculate the area of the largest pan or calculate the area of all the pans and add them together?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline TFEM

Re: Class F extinguishers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 07:21:03 AM »
My understanding is that class B fires would involve vapours/flashover hence the distance. There is no flashover with cooking oils so largest pan should be taken into consideration.

I also check to ensure that each pan has a separate thermostat as more than one failure is unlikely.

John

PS......here in Suffolk I can still point you in the direction of several chip shops with powder extinguishers installed and no wet chemicals!! Despite my best efforts to tell them they are not getting the correct advice from their supplier/risk assessor.