Author Topic: Fire Proof Letterbox Bags?  (Read 6510 times)

Offline Suttonfire

Fire Proof Letterbox Bags?
« on: April 09, 2018, 01:22:02 PM »
I've been asked by a client to review and approved the use of the following:

https://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/security-c67/window-door-security-c68/letterbox-security-c82/uap-fire-proof-retardant-letterbox-bag-internal-letter-box-security-cover-p609/s955?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=fire-proof-retardant-letterbox-bag-internal-letter-box-security-cove-hs3066&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyrWCjpSt2gIVhhobCh3ghAcTEAQYAyABEgKWI_D_BwE

Has anyone came across these before? Any thoughts or concerns? I can't seem to see any manufacturers test evidence.

The idea is that these would be used for the communal areas for small residential properties, where there is no tradesmans button to allow access to postmen to deliver the mail (typically houses converted into self contained flats).

Offline Owain

Re: Fire Proof Letterbox Bags?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:47:27 PM »
Letter boxes aren't usually seen as a major defect and can be fitted on fire doors if they're Certifire approved

http://www.bwfcertifire.org.uk/knowledge-centre/fire-door-components

The sort of bag shown is more an anti-arson protection. If arson is considered a serious risk then separate self-contained mailboxes should be considered, and for Secure By Design status should be fitted outside the communal entrance door which does not have a 'trades' timer.

https://safetyletterbox.com/mailboxes/fire-rated/fr1/

Offline Suttonfire

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 10:28:28 AM »
These bags are being proposed for a communal front entrance door which opens directly to the outside, so not necessarily a fire door. The idea is to prevent mail etc from lying openly on the floor in the communal entrance hall.

Offline Owain

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »
These bags are being proposed for a communal front entrance door which opens directly to the outside, so not necessarily a fire door. The idea is to prevent mail etc from lying openly on the floor in the communal entrance hall.

In that case I'd go for a box or cage rather than a bag.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 08:13:10 AM »
I used to work with a colleague who insisted that only the Royal Mail own 'letterboxes'; that the devices we all have in our front doors are 'letter plates'!

The website linked to in the original post is so full of confusing (and confused) claims for the supposed benefits of these items that it doesn't exactly fill one with confidence.  I'd spend my ?80-00 elsewhere, if it were me.

Offline Messy

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 03:23:01 PM »
I have only ever come across a risk so significant that it warranted a fire controlled letterbox/plate.

It was the HQ of the traffic wardens in a very busy part of London. An anonymous enough looking building of 4 or 5 floors and a single staircase. You would often find 40 to 50 wardens in the building and a trail of uniformed colleagues coming and going. I was not difficult to spot, especially as it was on a main road.

They had suffered vandalism - with a number of unpleasant and largely organic items being smeared on and through the door

As even the most level headed person can lose it with these knights of parking, and with only one means of escape, I suggested they invest in an anti-arson box. They declined as their last arson attack was more than a year ago so disagreed with my assessment of risk!!!

The customer is always tight, I mean right aren't they?

Offline Owain

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »
You would often find 40 to 50 wardens in the building ...

... as their last arson attack was more than a year ago

I suppose it takes a certain sort of person to not just be a traffic warden but be promoted to traffic warden manager.

Offline Mar62

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 05:41:11 PM »
We really do need a 'like' facility on here (Messy's ending comment).....
Each and every day is a learning curve and today is one of those days?

Offline Mar62

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 05:43:18 PM »
Messy, was that building in Camden NW1?

Offline Messy

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 06:17:12 PM »
Messy, was that building in Camden NW1?

No: It was the City of Westminster Traffic Warden hive near Baker Street

Offline Mar62

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 02:54:41 PM »
Ah ok, sounded familiar for a moment.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 08:33:04 PM »
Perhaps these places are so high risk they should have their own Purpose Group in the AD-B!?