Author Topic: Fire stopping - timber floor???  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Revol

Fire stopping - timber floor???
« on: August 10, 2018, 08:18:15 PM »
Hello Chaps,

A bit of advice please. Imagine a timber floor construction (solid joists with plasterboard underdrawn) with a 110mm plastic pipe passing through it. This could be a 60 min compartment floor separating occupancies or just a 30 min floor in a domestic house.

How would you fire stop this?

The typical solution I imagine would be an intumescent collar? I have seen this many times, often accepted by building control, the fire service and FRIAS accredited installers.

My issues is I cannot find any product that has been tested in this scenario. All test data relates to ridged (concrete) floors.

Does anybody know of any engineering judgements, test data or best practice guidance out there?

There must be something ... I?d not them there are hundreds of non compliant instances out there.

Offline Fishy

Re: Fire stopping - timber floor???
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 07:50:06 AM »
I think Hilti might have a detail for these - www.hilti.co.uk.  If not, try Nullifire, Abesco, Sealmaster, Astroflame, and if all those fail, Envirograf.  You might also find standard details in the British Gypsum 'White Book' or the Knauf equivalent.

Offline Revol

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 08:05:04 PM »
... so the reason there aren?t any tested collars on plasterboard is because the British / European Standard does not include this scenario.

I managed to speak with Quellfire in the end who carried out some indicative testing a few years back and support the installation of their collars of timber / plasterboard ceilings as part of an engineering judgment.

Offline GM

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 10:21:07 AM »
is the svp not boxed in where it 'pops' through the floor? so fire in a room where the svp is: svp protected.? Also which rooms are it exposed in? bathrooms?
Used to be a big concern about fire in garages where a svp was located and passed through a room above, relaxed view now taken.