Author Topic: Evacuation procedures for Care & Nursing Homes.  (Read 4233 times)

Offline unicornfss

• Unicorn fire & safety solutions
Evacuation procedures for Care & Nursing Homes.
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »

Members
 0 
0 posts



Posted 12 hours ago 

I am seeking the view of the forum regarding the actions to be taken by visitors in the event of a fire alarm activation in a Care or Nursing Home. 

We provide fire safety training for a number of care homes in our local area and teach that (pending the confirmation of a fire), conventional 'progressive horizontal' process is undertaken by staff for residents. 

However, we urge that guests and other visitors vacate the premises immediately on hearing  the  fire alarm and wait on the assembly point for further guidance.

One of our homes is adamant that guest and visitors should remain where they are and await guidance from staff.

Personally, I can se no reason why they shouldn't evacuate immediately and I really don't want to teach their staff a strategy that I fundamentally disagree with.

I cant find any official guidance, but I would very much value forum members view on the matter.

Mike

Offline Dinnertime Dave

Re: Evacuation procedures for Care & Nursing Homes.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 05:46:59 PM »

The only real point I have is that in a fire I wouldn't want staff to be debating PHE with guests. I say that because that is what happens, the fire alarm operates, you ask son, daughter, brother or sister to leave and go outside whilst they leave their loved ones in the room.

Why can they stay but I can't?

As an IO I didn't mind what the strategy was, but it must be written into the EP.

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 10:33:15 PM »
Everywhere I've been has PHE for staff and service users, but visitors and contractors follow immediate full evacuation and have that written into procedures and notices.

Staff have enough to do without marshalling relatives and others about from compartment to compartment.

That's not to say it's impossible to have a well documented, staffed, trained and practised alternative strategy, but it would have to be on a case by case basis weighing up all the pros and cons.
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Fishy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 01:35:06 PM »

...and I really don't want to teach their staff a strategy that I fundamentally disagree with..."

I can see both sides of the argument... from a pure fire risk point of view, why leave people exposed when there is no need to?  Having said that, I understand the distress and concern that being instructed to leave a vulnerable relative might cause - plus it potentially ties up staff in arguments.  However, I think you've answered your own question in the above quote from your post... it's a safety matter, so I'd suggest that you cannot offer information in a training package that you fundamentally disagree with.

Mentally put yourself in the dock in front of a judge, and decide whether you could robustly defend your position with a clear conscience.  That's the test I usually use, and it's rarely failed me...

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »
Do none of your Homes use the progressive evac procedure?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline John Webb

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 05:02:35 PM »
As I recall, the nursing home my late partner was in for some months asked visitors to remain in their relative's/friend's room when the fire alarm was triggered. All doors were on automatic closures and it was quite impressive when the alarm was triggered that all bedroom and corridor doors were closed.

I never saw their policy in writing, but asked about it and was informed that most operations in the daytime or early evening, when visitors were present, were due to unwanted fire signals (toast/steam/other cooking) and it was easier for staff to find out what was going on if everyone else stayed put in the rooms and awaited instructions. It happened about once a month when I was there, and the arrangement  seemed to me that someone was using common-sense!

Added Edit: The above system has the advantage that leaving friends/relatives with the sick person means that they can provide comfort and reassurance to the said person while staff are sorting out the problem.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:21:07 PM by John Webb »
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)