Author Topic: Nuaway Master Plug  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Fire Monkey

Nuaway Master Plug
« on: December 04, 2018, 04:56:38 PM »
Has any one come accross a multgang extention cable called a Nuaway Masterplug? I found such a devise in a flat which I was assessing. It is a black box with 4 square plugs supplying various somestic equipment such as TV and stereo. It says on it 'do not exceed 13 amps'. The resident stated that the plugs were three pin and earthed. How old are these devises and are there any known issues with them? They are on sale on Ebay but I can't find reports of them being faulty, reacalled or generally no longer recommended.

Offline Owain

Re: Nuaway Master Plug
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 05:12:08 PM »
I remember similar from the early-mid 1980s, before the 4-way 13 amp socket strips became widespread. Popular behind hi-fi systems and similar. The plugs were similar to IEC connectors as used on computers etc now.  The plug pins probably won't be sleeved and the sockets may not be shuttered, but I don't know any problems with them when used sensibly.

Offline John Webb

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:51:00 PM »
This rings distant bells with me. I think the idea was to provide a more compact system than the standard 13A multi-socket for use in confined areas such as Hi-fi cabinets. Provided the 13A plug feeding it is correctly fused, I wouldn't see any problems if they are indeed the IEC or a similar system.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline Owain

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:26:17 AM »
I suppose one issue may be if the whole assembly has a 13A fuse but the individual items should have 3A or 5A fuses.

In those days things didn't come with fitted plugs. Oh the excitement on birthdays and christmases wandering around the house wondering whether mum would notice the plug going missing from her iron for a few hours so I could play with a new present.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:25:54 AM »
I suppose one issue may be if the whole assembly has a 13A fuse but the individual items should have 3A or 5A fuses.

In those days things didn't come with fitted plugs. Oh the excitement on birthdays and christmases wandering around the house wondering whether mum would notice the plug going missing from her iron for a few hours so I could play with a new present.

I have similar memories - and in our house the risk of Mum wanting to use either the iron or the vacuum cleaner on Christmas day was extraordinarily low.  Knew not to nick the one off the fridge or TV, though...