Author Topic: Gas and MCPs.  (Read 2025 times)

Offline nearlythere

Gas and MCPs.
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:57:12 AM »
Is it considered necessary or good practice to install intrinsically safe MCPs in enclosures where there is gas equipment eg boilers? Many kerosene boilers are being replaced by gas and I wonder if installers or BC gives consideration to this. I ask as I have seen an EP which advises that the FAS should be sounded in the event of a gas leak to effect an evacuation. The other issue is that there will be many more light switches than MCPs which will most likely not be IS.
Leaking gas may not necessarily stay within the enclosure.
Would we consider the risk of a gas leak of adequately maintained equipment is so low as to be quite trivial? 
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

Re: Gas and MCPs.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 03:26:53 PM »
[quote
Would we consider the risk of a gas leak of adequately maintained equipment is so low as to be quite trivial?
[/quote]

Yes.

I would only expect to see IS equipment in areas where there would be under normal operating conditions a risk of a spark igniting flammable vapours. E.G Petrol store.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:31:14 PM by Dinnertime Dave »

Offline lyledunn

Re: Gas and MCPs.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 06:45:50 PM »
It would be up to others, competent to do so, to identify the zone classification in and around equipment. It would be on that basis that one would select and erect appropriate electrical equipment.