Author Topic: Class 1 Testing of Materials - Recommended Service  (Read 7149 times)

Offline Fairway123

Class 1 Testing of Materials - Recommended Service
« on: June 14, 2019, 09:16:43 AM »
Hi All

I?ve recently carried out a fire risk assessment in a recording studio. The walls are lined with some kind of insulation entirely soft (looks like loft insulation). The outer of this is all broken and the stuffing is spilling out of it. The room is in excess of 30m2 so would recommend class 1 rating. I doubt that it meets this requirement - it looks like at some point there was a skin over this insulation to protect it. (Estimate building is from 1980s)

I want to have the product tested as I can confirm it is safe for its use. Does anyone know of a good company who provide testing and what the indicative costs and timescales are?

Thanks

Fairway

Offline lyledunn

Re: Class 1 Testing of Materials - Recommended Service
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:36:40 AM »
Testing ain?t cheap! Would it not be better to erect a skin in front of the insulation with something like British Gypsum Soundbloc?

Offline Fishy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:46:14 AM »
List of UKAS accredited fire testing laboratories here: https://www.ukas.com/browse-accredited-organisations/?org_cat=3333&parent=&type_id=2 - browse for one accredited to test to BS 476-7.

You will need to arrange for removal of correctly-sized samples of the material yourself - they won't come and take them for you.  Contact the lab for exact sizes etc.

Offline Fairway123

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 02:34:55 PM »
Thanks for the responses - much appreciated :-)