Author Topic: Career advice gratefully received!  (Read 7922 times)

Offline Groendraak

Career advice gratefully received!
« on: December 01, 2005, 05:15:05 PM »
I'm looking for a job and am hoping that a few of you would be prepared to point me in the right direction. According to google there are only a handful of fire investigation firms in London, none of whom are easy to contact regarding jobs, so I thought I'd appeal to the experts on here!

I would probably suit an assistant role. I have plenty of office experience and am computer literate (I know, stating the obvious). I also spent two years at university studying physics, so am capable of helping collect data from the scene of a fire without ruining the evidence.

I attended the Fire Investigation Symposium at the Fire Service College in Moreton-in-Marsh in 2004, so I have a good idea of what fire investigation involves. As you can tell I've been mulling it over for a while - this isn't an impulsive decision.

I can't afford to go back to university and get a fire investigation or forensic science degree, hence my appeal for the chance to join a company as an assistant rather than an investigator.

Any ideas?

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 08:34:04 PM »
I can't help but I hope that someone on here is looking for an assistant, you have obvioulsy a definite career desire and interested people are always a bonus in any industry.

All the best for your future.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline ian gough

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 11:20:12 AM »
Why don't you check out police scenes of crimes jobs? At least that will give you a start.

I actually employed a student as fire investigation team support officer, however, this was sadly only a temporary post for approx 9 months and she's now pursuing her career in forensic science. She thoroughly enjoyed the job and got some good experience. And I got to know about her simply because she wrote to the brigade!

Also, on a slightly different tack: many brigades are recruiting for 'fire safety' staff. Again, it would be a foot in the door.  

Good luck.

Offline Groendraak

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 04:05:31 PM »
Thank you both for your responses - I'll give the brigades and police a try.