Author Topic: firefighter training footage  (Read 12058 times)

Offline kalell

firefighter training footage
« on: December 05, 2005, 09:41:38 AM »
i would like to know does anybody have or can they point me in the direction of firefighter training footage.

thanks

Offline dave bev

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 11:02:33 AM »
kalell, can you confirm what type of firefighter training footage? are you asking for 'recruiting' info or training/ development footage of service personnel?. most brigades have training videos on a wide variety of subjects i.e fire safety, operational and i would hope on some of the hr issues aswell

dave bev

Offline kalell

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 01:30:11 PM »
first off thanks for the reply.

i would ideally like footage on training/devlopment ie: hose running, ladder drills, firefighting and so on. the kind of training administered after the initial recruitment stage.

thanks

Offline dave bev

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 01:52:26 PM »
kalell - you will need to contact one of the brigades - do a search on google - they may be prepared to send you copies - though some will probaby require you to buy them!

dave bev

Offline kalell

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 02:01:44 PM »
many thanks dave

Offline Rich

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 06:03:03 PM »
BBC's 999 did a 'docusoap' on West Mids training school in 1998, I know it was a few years ago but it covered all aspects of the basic training you are seeking.

It was called 'Fireschool' and was a series of 10 minute shows included in each programme from the start to the finish of training school.  It featured Ffs from West Mids and Cambs.
I am sorry if I offend anybody although if gold medals were dished out for it I would have quite a few!!

Offline Frankie

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 10:11:53 AM »
I personally wouldn't try to pre-empt the training you may get if you are seeking to join the fire service though.

Offline dave bev

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 10:39:04 AM »
not sure i agree fully frankie?

anyway the odpm has released a dvd for prospective firefighters along with some self test questions which may be of use?

dave bev

Offline Firewolf

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 02:39:39 PM »
I agree Dave

The self test questionnaires and seeing how something is done is always handy - it can prepare you for some of things that might be encountered during a test-

Clearly you can't just watch a video and know instantly and safely how to don Breathing Apparatus, but the simple stuff is ok.
BE ALERT BE VIGILANT BE SAFE  (c)

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 03:09:59 PM »
Dave is this the DVD you are referring to " FRS Circular 7/2006: Recruitment DVD to accompany the use of the National Firefighter Selection Process (PDF 92 Kb) "
This circular is to inform you that a recruitment information DVD to accompany the use of the new firefighter selection process is now available. Published February 2006. I do not think it is for prospective firefighters its more directed at Training Schools.
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/embedded_object.asp?id=1163731
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline dave bev

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 09:18:42 PM »
tom are you suggesting it would not assist a prospective firefighter if they viewed the dvd and undertook the self selection test (even if its for them specifically)?

dave bev

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 09:58:28 AM »
Yes I agree but would the ODPM supply the general public they have not been forthcoming on other matters.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline dave bev

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 12:24:46 PM »
i think you'll find that that is exactly who the 'self selection' info is for (the 'public/potential employees')- the route of obtaining it of course may not be via the odpm - i assume it will form some sort of intro/application pack from respective f&rs's

dave bev

Offline Frankie

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 01:38:39 PM »
Dave are you saying that people should self teach "firefighting" etc.  The request was for the training stage, not the selection stage. I suggest that the reason we have training colleges are to train firefighters, using correct safety procedures from manual handling to PPE and that the training is carried out by qualified personnel. Otherwise we could send out hundreds of "Firefighting for dummies" DVDs and Books and say "come back in 12 weeks and we'll give you a job!"

Slightly cynical but you get my thinking?