Author Topic: Building Control Approval query - AFD install  (Read 4927 times)

Offline hammer1

Building Control Approval query - AFD install
« on: October 09, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »
We are currently undergoing AFD (LD2) enhanced install to some of our current stock of blocks.

Our BC have stated the below;

I can confirm that that installation of LD 2 automatic fire detection system in the estate  would  require building regulation approval. AFD installation building work represents a material alteration of a relevant requirement, the relevant requirement in this instance is Part B1 of the Building Regs ?means of warning and escape?

A formal building regulation submission is required.

This is a requirement of legislation irrespective of whether the AFD installation has been formally called for via any fire strategy or risk assessment etc. or are simply being installed as an extra safety measure at the owners? own discretion.

The work constitutes a provision of a controlled service into a building where Schedule 1 Part P imposes a requirement. The building regulations therefore apply to the proposed work.

We have never come across this request before in relation to regulation 3 of the building regulations?

Appreciate comments from members who may have experience in this or BC/AI members views?

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
Re: Building Control Approval query - AFD install
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 06:53:14 PM »
I've heard this before and that they are technically correct, but I've yet to come across a site where this has been insisted on and enforced in it's own right as oppose to when it's part of wider building work that requires submission.

Most alarm replacements and upgrades are never notified so LABC never even know about it though so it's unclear if more BCO's would require it if they knew about it.
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline col10

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 01:04:04 PM »
If the work is within flats, an electrician can self certify if registered member of a competent persons scheme such as NICEIC.

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 07:40:19 PM »
I would agree that it falls within the scope of the building regulations. I think this provides a good opportunity to consult with a thoroughly knowledgeable authoritative body for what is a paltry fee in the scheme of things. It also focuses  attention on the compilation of appropriate documentation, including, importantly, layout plans.

Offline Revol

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 06:06:43 PM »
This is an often argued point amongst the building control fraternity ? some say it is a material alteration, others don't, depends on who you ask. If you ask me, I would advise an application should be made. 

Offline Cynic

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 09:29:07 PM »
Material alteration ;
An alteration which results in a building being less satisfactory in relation to compliance with the requirements of Parts B1, B3, B4 or B5, than it was before, is controllable under Regulations 3 (meaning of building work) and 4 (requirements relating to building work) of the Building Regulations, as a material alteration.

Unless I am out of step, a new and improved AFD system installation should not need a building regs. application ? It improves what is already there.  Even in a building with a complete active system, engineered means of escape strategy, it could be gilding the lily !

If you replace and upgrade escape lighting would you put an application in ?

Building control will always say yes, as you pay them !

Just an humble opinion !