Author Topic: Aisle width in shops  (Read 4460 times)

Offline GB

Aisle width in shops
« on: February 17, 2020, 03:59:46 PM »
I am reviewing aisle width in shops using PFSG for shops and don't seem to find a reference for aisle width within the shops. There is reference for storage premises where the aisle width can reduce to 400mm however this is obviously for not members of the public.

Does anyone on the forum have a width with a reference for aisle width in shops where members of the public are present?

Offline lyledunn

Re: Aisle width in shops
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 09:27:42 PM »
Afraid not but one would have thought you could take a lead from minimum width for corridors.

Offline GB

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 09:21:44 AM »
Thanks Lyle,

I agree in that I am currently using a minimum aisle width of 1000mm (occupancy only around 20 per shop) as each aisle is in effect an exit route. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't another reference somewhere which would allow for the reduction with some of these convenience stores having aisle widths below 800mm.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 09:04:19 AM »
Just from a purely observational point of view, I don't think you can use corridor widths.

Shops vary from large superstores where 1000mm might be acceptable to small corner shops where you might be lucky to get 750mm. But, occupancy numbers will also vary, so it really does need to be risk based. Access for wheelchair users may also needed to be considered.

On a lighter note, I once dealt with a complaint in one of our shops from a wheelchair user. They complained that they couldn't access the rear of the shop due to people standing next to the pay desk and as the fire exit was at the rear of the shop, they were at risk. They wouldn't have it that in the event of a fire the people paying would leave the shop too. 

Offline GB

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 11:39:35 AM »
Thanks Dave and I agree with the sentiment that escape widths may seem excessive - however what is to stop the shop reducing it to say 400mm due to the pressure of sales / stock / storage?. I would have thought that there would have been some guidance on this issue somewhere but my search has been so far in vain.