Author Topic: Changing access to a commercial building and removing a door.  (Read 4761 times)

Offline WRProp

Changing access to a commercial building and removing a door.
« on: August 22, 2020, 05:04:28 PM »
Hi

This is a commercial building.

Id like to restrict or remove access from the main unit to the garage. I would do this by either locking the door, or removing the door completely.

Is there any issue with one of the means of entrance, exit and escape being through a horizontal shutter door?

General public will not be entering the building.

The main unit would be used as mainly storage by some builders. They may eventually take
on a member of staff and have some wood working machinery in the main unit.

The Garage part would be used by a set of self employed car mechanics.

The Original is what it looks like now.
Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vlrs0GoZxNJNRLklWwaV0VzWVNpYujcj/view?usp=sharing

Please note the door access to the right of the Horizontal Shutter which allows access from the main unit area into the Garage area.

The New 1 attached is what id like to do.
Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WWoHhxM4voGMS-kciMaYuvfjvHRMmCYY/view?usp=sharing

This blocks off that access door between the main unit and the Garage.
This would be done either by locking the door, or removing the door and blocking off the acces.
The Store 3 is also removed however this is only temporary walls which were added a few years ago. They are not supporting anything and can easily be removed.

This would mean there is access into the main unit at the top through the front door in and out of the building, and also at the bottom in and out of the main building through a Horizontal Shutter Door.
As long as the Horizontal Shutter door is permanently unlocked and accessible during the day, do you see a problem with this as a means of escape?

The New 2 attached would hopefully not be needed.
Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bw6tyblQd55zTjf22EGUD3xW_vdVg5rn/view?usp=sharing

This gives entrance and escape access out of the main unit through a new access part constructed in the garage. This would only be done if the entrance/exit through the Horizontal Shutter door wasnt acceptable.

Option 3.
If the Horizontal Shutter door cant be used as means of entrance / exit / escape to the main unit, then the door could be altered to incorporate some sort of door.

I hope that makes sense. If you have any questions please let me know.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

Re: Changing access to a commercial building and removing a door.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 12:09:39 PM »

Lots of information supplied, but one very important piece of information missing. What is the travel distance from the horizontal shutter to the main door? 

Offline WRProp

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 12:15:48 PM »
Hi

yes very sorry i missed that off.
From the furthest corner in the bottom right corner of the unit to the front door at the top is about 30m, so its over the 25m low risk limit.

Common sense to me says that the shutter door is acceptable as an entrance door, exit door, and means of escape, as long as its not locked and accessible at all times from the inside.

If pictures are needed of the door i can supply them. It has a handle on it and you just slide the door to the size and it folds from one side to the other.

thanks

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 10:42:22 PM »

Common sense to me says that the shutter door is acceptable as an entrance door, exit door, and means of escape, as long as its not locked and accessible at all times from the inside.

Agreed, however the worry with horizontal shutters is that there is no way of measuring the width of the door, and as such you then can't calculate how many people can escape through it. Based on your plans, I would suggest the numbers are low, therefore the use of a horizontal shutter appears acceptable.

Offline WRProp

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 11:01:37 AM »
hi, thanks for the reply

there would usually only be 2x people in the building, maybe 4-6 ish on occasion. id suspect never more than 10x people and they would all be accompanied by the business owner at all times. general public or 'customers' wouldnt have any need to enter the building.

the doors open to around 3m wide. i do understand what you mean though by not being able to measure the width.
they are easily accessible and easy to open.

thanks