Author Topic: PAS 79-1 and PAS 79-2  (Read 1606 times)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
PAS 79-1 and PAS 79-2
« on: September 17, 2020, 12:39:45 AM »
Just a quick update for fire risk assessors as to progress with the revision of PAS 79 to create two new codes of practice, namely PAS 79-1, which will deal with FRAs for premises other than housing and PAS 79-2, which will cover FRAs for all housing premises.

Many colleagues will be aware of this project, which, happily, all through lockdown, etc, has remained exactly to programme, with the draft for pubic comment being issued on exactly the date set in the original programme.

Over the 2 parts, there were over 1,200 comments on specific clauses or content of the two codes of practice. Thanks to everyone who made comments. A huge thank you is also due to the Steering Group, who ploughed through this extensive comment over a period of days.

All amendments to the drafts have now been completed and a final draft is with the Steering Group for final sign off at the end of the month.

The project remains on target for publication of both parts in December 2020.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Fishy

Re: PAS 79-1 and PAS 79-2
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 11:17:41 AM »
I too have kept involved in standards development and issue all through Lockdown, in one case chairing a BSI panel and we managed to keep (in fact, beat) deadlines.  I'd never have even considered trying to do this other than face-to-face before, but it largely works. 

Scheduling is easier now you don't have to drag everyone to Chiswick - this allowed us to replace whole-day workshops (that in reality ended up being 10:00 - 16:00 actually sat around the table) with more frequent, but shorter meetings.  Resolving some of the trickier issues was harder without face-to-face interaction, but not impossible.

Well done you for ploughing through 1200 comments - I know how laborious it can be (for those that don't know, a Panel must reach consensus that every comment received has been resolved before the standard progresses).

My only comment would be... next time make it a 'full' British Standard?  That will massively improve accessibility.