Author Topic: IFE Exam in Fire Safety  (Read 47535 times)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2004, 09:48:34 PM »
Wait, wait , wait, one at a time please! Davey, commies can't be fire consultants, except in old guard commie countries, which means you would need to practise in either Albania (bit spartan), North Korea ( dont even think about it) or Cuba ( nice birds and good cigars, good weather, so you could think about it, also you can send new pics of Che Guevarra back to your leader). But we would miss you if you went, so stick to the FBU, good old Uncle John P, who I am sure you have forgiven for giving you a kicking, and the English weather. Peter, no the IFE do not give away membership too easily. It is a broadly based organisation that brings together all part of the fire community, and some other institutions do have non- C Eng members actually. The rank and file (mostly fire brigade) members did a brave thing when they allowed the Engineering Council Division to be formed. There are 10,000-11,000 members worldwide (with lower case m), and about 300-400 in the ECD. I think it would be hardly appropriate to downgrade or disenfranchise the people who have worked hard to get the Grad or Members by examination, simply because they did not have the chance to go to university. And incidentally, I would respectfully suggest that you or I as chartered engineers with degrees could not walk in off the street and, without a great deal of study, pass the membership examination. (Trust me, I know someone who tried.) If you want to dispute this I will send you a membership exam in the post and  Bob Docherty will mark it for you, as soon as he dismounts from his high horse. To the chap doing the preliminary, etc, do not worry so much about equivalences. All study is worthwhile and is simply a means for progressing education to the level that you, ultimately, wish to attain. I wish you best of luck in doing so.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004, 10:11:47 PM »
Hey Colin, who mentioned formal dress?? where did that one come from??lets go into the 21 century with the IFE, I am all for that and as a member of the IFE I am entitled to a view and also to express it, thats what is called democracy, which I personally believe is lacking at the moment within the IFE structure.  I have no reason to be jaundiced, I just believe in some things, nothing personal to those involved ( I didn't mention any names did I?) and they are well aware of my views I can assure you of that.  Back to the subject, the examinations and their grades are important, especially in an international organisation and we are there to serve not just good old UK but the rest of the world, so while we are looking all glum and confused over 'a rose by any other name' my person in Malawi may just think a little bit differently about it
Cheers
BOB

Offline colin todd

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 01:29:56 AM »
As you know Bob, I am a great supporter of the IFE, and serve the Institution in a number of capacities, but sadly there are still a number of yesterday's men around, who cling to the notion of the Institution being their own private club. The dress question was merely a personal thing. I gave a presentation at the AGM a few years ago. At the end of the long hot day with delegates all wanting to go off for a pint there was a request to the body of the hall for any other business. An ex-president of the Institution just HAD to say, to everyone's dismay that he had some AOB. And what was his AOB? Mr International President, quoth he, I would just like to say how appalling it is that people can wear lounge suits at your dinner tonight. Mr International President, I think that the lack of a requirement to wear dinner jackets is a personal insult to you. I turned to a friend sitting next to me and vowed never again to attend an IFE AGM as a matter of principle, while old fogeys like that are still alive. And I never have.

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2004, 05:53:48 PM »
Does anyone know where past IFE papers can be obtained (Membership level of interest to me in particular) other than available on the IFE website which is more a critique on last years candidates.

Regards

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2004, 11:55:42 AM »
Thank you Colin, I feel suitably despondent about my efforts and achievements in the past. I’ll go off with my 11 + exam (Preliminary & Intermediate) passes forget about applying for the Technician Certificate.

I never thought I was an academic genius and now you’ve poured scorn on everything I was aiming for. If you could tell me what you do approve of, when I have recovered from this let down, I may sign up for it?

Offline colin todd

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2004, 03:44:57 PM »
Peter, Are we both reading the same bulletin board?  If so, could you cut and paste the text from this thread in which I poured scorn on IFE exams?
Could I respectfully suggest you read what was said, which is that all education and progression by examination is worthy of effort, and represents achievement. If you mistakenly thought that the prelim and intermediate were PhD level, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the fact that they are not equivalent to degree level does not make them less worthwhile. Learning is a lifelong process. Every one of the IFE exams is a step on the ladder of learning, which I am disappointed to learn that you feel is not worthwhile, given the time and effort put in by those members of the Institution involved in the exams and their marking.

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2004, 04:17:29 PM »
Its Paul not Peter, maybe you should read it again!

Offline colin todd

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2004, 12:02:53 AM »
Peter, Paul, Mary, whats the odds.

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2004, 08:47:58 AM »
Isn’t that ironic you calling me Mary; I got the impression you think you’re the Son of God. So don’t call me Mary, you can call me Mummy!

Offline colin todd

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2004, 05:59:31 PM »
Just make sure you get your name right on the IFE exam paper.

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2004, 10:32:24 PM »
I will dear, Mummy always wants to please! Maybe we should have a page, called “Colin and Mummy”? What do you think? We could talk about you all day, and how wonderful you are my little love?

By the way, Daddy said stop parting the Red Sea, it play’s being confused with Global Warming.

(All the stuff I said above is purely my own personal view and in no way represents any official view of my employer!)

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2004, 10:35:07 AM »
Colin is it hard to do your job, when persons are trying to kiss your feet and throw sick relatives at you? As you bend down to touch someone’s forehead, are those directly behind you, bathed in a warm beam of light? Is it be very difficult/painful to walk down narrow corridors, scraping your ears as you move along?

If you give it, you have to take it; but despite the Watch’s request, I’ll be signing off on this now for good. I will savour the memory of our little chats, with the print off’s on our notice board.

Bye

(All the stuff I said above is purely my own personal view and in no way represents any official view of my employer!)

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2004, 12:34:58 PM »
Typical water squirter!

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2004, 10:17:57 PM »
Does this mean that no-one here is really interested in career/knowledge progression.

I for one, as a fire and safety professional, am keen to further my knowledge by what ever means possible.  As part of this exercise I am taking membership grade IFE examinations this year (hence the request re: past exam papers).

Perhaps some people just enjoy casting derision on the IFE and the way in which it grades members etc.  for reasons which totally escape me.

The whole argumentative attitude of some is the precise reason why fire consultants are viewed largely as an unorganised, unregulated collection of fire service wannabees or has beens.  Surely it would be far more productive to promote all methods of advancement in our chosen careers rather than 'rifting'.

Just to be clear - I have never been employed by a fire service, private or otherwise.  I have, however some 20years experience in the fire and safety industry from installation through strategy implementation.

Am I the only one out here who is proud of what I do? or do we have a general problem with the lack of cohesion between those in our profession?

Offline colin todd

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2004, 08:23:46 PM »
Cohesion in the profession is the aim and objective of the IFE, and it is the only organisation within our field that can/does do so. Those who are anti-IFE are either living in the past when, a long time ago now, the Institution did not so readily embrace all aspects of the profession, or are talking from outside the Institution with no real knowledge of the Institution.