Author Topic: IFE Exam in Fire Safety  (Read 47534 times)

Offline birty

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« on: February 17, 2004, 11:46:06 AM »
Anyone got any ideas about which areas to study for the 2004 exam? They aint gonna ask about Fire services act are they-surely not!!!!

Offline birty

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 11:50:15 AM »
Oops -perhaps should have said that it was the Grads exam!!

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 02:07:16 PM »
Perhaps, one ought to study the course syllabus with a view to knowing it. then it won't matter what they ask.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline colin todd

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 02:07:37 PM »
Perhaps, one ought to study the course syllabus with a view to knowing it. then it won't matter what they ask.

Gary Howe

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 10:30:20 AM »
:shock: "chance favours the prepared"

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 11:22:49 AM »
I am one of the examiners not in the fire safety group though, but what colin said is the best bet, also look at past papers and finally all the ife magazines often contain articles where the questions are formed from.

Offline colin todd

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 12:57:07 PM »
IFE exams have improved massively over the years, and are of a good standard nowadays. Anyone doing them really needs to know the relevant material. If you don't take them seriously, you will not pass-simple as that. I think they still get people who try to bluff their way through on the basis of their practical knowledge, rather than serious study.

Offline Norman

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 03:44:04 PM »
The syllabus of fire safety on membership exam is large.  Actually, what I should read to prepare the exam? (such as BS5588-8, Book 8, Book 9)  Is there any suggestion?

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 08:21:28 PM »
The secret is not only to cover the whole of the syllabus for the relevant exam but always remeber to cover the syllabuses of the 'lesser' exams a well as the IFE syllabuses follow on from each other and each one takes into account the one before1  The other great secret is to start to study well in advance and I would recommend at least a year to cover all the subjects in the syllabus (but then who am I? I only wrote the things!!) but seriously, keep taking the exams and supporting as there is an upwelling of one or two individuals within the inner reaches of the IFE (General assembly and the Board of Directors and believe it or not are voted on these bodies by the membership) who wish to do away with the examination system of the IFE. There is also a move afoot to remove the Grade of Graduate memberbecause one or two people in the assembly/board of directors feels that it could be confused with academia outside of the IFE!!!  Well I for one will oppose this tooth and nail - anyone in the IFE or who has anything to do with it knows exactly where an IFE Graduate member sits in the scheme of things, and when I was a Graduate of the IFE I was proud to wear that badge and I am sure all other Graduates of the IFE are proud to wear it as well so dont be fooled by a few people who say they believe such a move is for the best or to de-confuse others, remember I sat all through the Engineering Council meetings so that the IFE could be an engineering organisation and not once did the Engineering Council ask the IFE to remove the grade of Graduate or re-structure it in any way.  Sorry about the rant but I do feel both the exams and the current grades are so important and our birthright should not be lost on the whim of one or two individuals becuse they want to appear or the IFE to appear trendy - phew!!
BOB

Offline colin todd

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 02:37:08 AM »
A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME. Robert, I do believe that you are becoming jaundiced in your old age! I would agree that there is a valid place for the grade that we now call graduate. I also believe that retention of an exam that is currently of the Grauate level is warranted (provided people can be persuaded to take it). Its just the name that is unfortunate. In common parlance, other negineering institutions, and even the ecd division of the IFE itself, a graduate is someone with a degree. The grad is more akin to an A level or BTech. It is therefore somewhat misleading to use the name graduate. Its only a name. I think your comments on some of the up and coming members of the Board, who are less concerned with the wearing of formal dress at the President's dinner and more concerned with taking the IFE into the 21st century as a proper engineering institution, are somewhat harsh.

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 10:03:02 PM »
If an IFE Grad is akin A level or BTech, what is an IFE Member akin to?

Offline colin todd

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 04:36:14 AM »
This is purely a personal opinion, and should not be regarded as an IFE view or that of the Engineering Council. However, I always think the Membership is about 1st year university level.

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 03:29:51 PM »
if the members is year one and i passed some (erm cough, cough) years ago i might be equivalent to a fire consultant now colin? though i suppose that as i have moved away from the dark side and continued my studies in more enlightened areas i'm perhaps more equivalent to something else (i'll let you decide what label to use LOL)  

bob, perhaps the jaundice thing has something to do with the scottish air?

anyway for what its worth, on a personal basis i support the continuing education of anyone who chooses to do so by whichever process it occurs, and that includes the ife, but these things arent and shouldnt be given away they have to be earned, so i think the advice given re studying by the most venerable gentlemen above is good solid and extremely valid, but then again im only one of those who was constantly encouraged by old 'george a' himself (and bob and mike bitcon) to contribute to the process, so would say that!!

dave bev

Offline Peter Wilkinson

• http://www.thefpa.co.uk
IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 03:59:57 PM »
Colin,  It seems that you are highlighting the difference between a 'Member' and a 'Chartered Member'.  If a member is a first year at Uni, a chartered member has graduated and gained a few years experience in the industry.  In other engineering institutions, the member grade is largely reserved for those who are chartered engineers, and below that are 'Associate Members'.  Do the IFE give away member status too easily?
(all the stuff I said above is purely my own personal view and in no way represents any official view of my employer)

IFE Exam in Fire Safety
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 08:04:15 PM »
I have the IFE Preliminary & Intermediate certificate’s and am applying for the Technician grade; be honest what levels are these akin too?