Author Topic: chief officer dirty tactics strathclyde-clean version!!!  (Read 13794 times)

Offline dug wallis

chief officer dirty tactics strathclyde-clean version!!!
« on: May 06, 2005, 09:29:55 PM »
right- that dirty mongrel sweeney is about to intro a job into our brigade which will drop stn/o & sub/o pay by £2500 on average & pensions by £7000 to £9000!!!!
basically last week some snr tube put out a briefing informing us that we would be assimilated down when the brigade re- structuring happens in oct 2005.
obviously there was a lot of angry bears when this was discovered, a meeting was arranged for all ranks & the union got a guy from essex who is on the exec council as an off. rep.
the boy was good & explained alot that we & the officals didn`t know. he explained that the assimilation from rank to role would  be done by you being assessed on the job you are doing at the time & its responsibilities so ensuring that you get paid for what you actually do & it was designed to stop ideas like this by people who don`t know what there talking about .there was alot of further gnashing of teeth & the reg reps were sent to see him on high with several ques req.answering.
basically the job concerned is a stn manager A non-flexi. a job sweeney freely admits is outside the remit of the 2003 agreement,rank to role or ipds.it doesn`t take a genius to work out that the current stn/o & sub/o responsibilities will on some part be absorbed by this new job & by sweeneys thinking that means he can downgrade you pay wise. this affects some 400 ranks & is detrimental to any one who is about to retire in the next 4-5 yrs. now this caused one helluva panic cos obviously anyone with a bit of time still to do doesn`t want to be putback considering the efforts put in to get where they are now & sweeney made it clear that if you don`t get this new job you have no chance of getting a group managers job.  thing is what a lot of tools don`t realise is if you take this job you are not in the 2003 agreement structure which means he could change your pay/conditions etc & you would have no rights as you are working on a different contract!!!
also if you take this job you allow him most definitely to go ahead & cut every other
rank holders throat!!!  so there are alot of worrying times ahead in strathclyde to say the least & obviously if he gets a way with it whats to stop it   happening
nationally-- be afraid be very very afraid!!!!!
congrats to matt wrack don`t know him but maybe over the next weeks just might!
by all means you fbu & legal boffins comeforth with ideas & solutions as to what we can do to stop this or slow ti down at least!
the loonies have taken over the asylum!!!

Offline dave bev

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »
the guy from essex isnt on the ec, he is the secretary of the officers national committee, and yes he did his best to explain though it was a difficult meeting and there was a lot of hostility. fair do's though their anger wasnt directed at the 'boy' who carried the poison chalice, they knew where their anger should be directed.

he also went away from the meeting just as angry as some of those there and is determined to get this discussed and debated at annual conference next week - apparently there are several emergency resolutions now being put to conference so the smoke and mirrors can be removed and everyone can see and hear what is or could be happening. i cant think of who may have written them all?? ;-)

if youd like to pm me with details of your figures im sure someone might be able to use them during any debate?

oncs@fbu.org.uk

dave bev

Offline dug wallis

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 02:15:41 PM »
dave - sorry i`m an old fart still getting used to computers/e-mails etc , "pm" you with figures what do you mean?
since the original meeting have heard that he has agreed to have a face to face seminar with all ranks to explain his actions & abate members fears[yet to be confirmed].
also he has put out a letter apologising for original note and added ----
quote  "the correct position in relation to pay protection is that it is guaranteed until
the end of the pay agreement on 1/7/05!   no mention of in relation to who!
also in same letter states"as a substantive move from rank to a role,an empoyees
pay would be reduced and that in such cases they [empoyers] are prepared to agree that the level of salary be protected for a period of 3yrs from the date the
individual is formally notified of their new role, effectively freezing the salary for the employee for that period of time." if he tells you now for the move when the brigade restructures oct 2005 does that mean no rise in july 2005 & 2006?
also mentions duty system intro to merseyside--- when  & what is it?
at meeting other day when fbu asked for the stn m advert to be withdrawn until it could be properly discussed etc the dep who sat in on it for him spat the dummy out & stated they would withdraw any ref to brigade/operational experience & fill the vacancies with civvies - this is a bluff because the recent command & control procs he has adopted mean that if there is 2 eight pump fires or something similar he has no snr officer cover to fill the various roles req`d . so the new stn. m. smuck will fill this role without any flexi pay and still report for his 9-5 ten day fortnight job.

Offline dave bev

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 03:30:33 PM »
dug - pm - private me - contact me privately - either by using the private message button, or by sending direct to my fbu email address.

the pay protection stuff or more correctly 'protection arrangements' still has to be sorted - thats why its at acas. thats also why the info from your principal managers is their 'best guess', so why they are continuing to dig themselves into a hole is beyond me. why they didnt just withdraw their statement and say they got it wrong by issuing the memo before agreement has been reached. that way they didnt need to contradict themselves, and would have been seen as honest and made a mistake. soemthing we all do from time to time. so why cant people admit it and hold their hands up? i do have concerns however over why the person who actually wrote that original memo, actually did so? seems a bit of a power trip to me.

there are loads of different ways 'pay protection' can be applied - i think its important to get it discussed at conference next week.i dont want to discuss what ive done since the meeting in an open forum for obvious reasons. if youve got any contacts at conference they may be able to provide more info than i can on here after conference?

dave bev

Offline dug wallis

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 02:36:17 PM »
word came back from conf. that fbu has news!   guess what sweeney has decide to call the job now an a.d.o. non flexi & they will become stn m. when brigade restructures or rank to role comes in, so he has got his way & union is now saying that job vac should now not be withdrawn so we could still get screwed. union meeting on 21 /5 after closing date for this vac - better come up with something good or this meeting could be worse than last one for our reps.
at a c.o. forum sweeney stated that when rank to role comes in no one will lose money i can see a wage freeze for a lot of us.
with 4yrs to go its looking bleak - an old retired union codger says he doesn`t believe the leadership would sign a deal whereby your pay will worsen - hope he`s right!!!!!!!!!!!!!    coming up for this one dave? could do with someone who knows what their talking about.

Offline dave bev

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 11:14:42 AM »
i havent been invited!! is the 21st a saturday? last meeting was 'interesting' to say the least LOL. im not sure by what you mean re 'he got his way'?

as you know there has been some 'behind the scenes' work done by some people, and senior officials have been involved. they have been supporting the strathclyde members. i understood an agreement had been reached before conference??  emergency resolutions were ruled out of order so we had to get the issue raised in a different way. conference delegates were updated re strathclyde by your brigade sec, who put your case to conference pretty accurately and you got the support from conference, so credit due to your brigade reps.

there is also some 'other' work i have been tasked to complete ASAP on issues surrounding r2r. it wont be posted on here though (with respect to those who read these posts im sure you recognise there are some things that members should be aware of first)

dave bev

Offline dug wallis

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 03:37:06 PM »
re "he got his way"   been told sweeney was given a slight slapping about his attempt to bring in stn/m without r2r being agreed but he re introduced it under a.d.o. non-flexi. so basically he`s still on line to do what he originally tried.
this smacks of "ord" who i`m no doubt would love to get s.f.b. members back as we would`nt talk to him anytime he visited a station.
hope we do have support cos things are a bit stale up here regards this"job appl. matter.

Offline dave bev

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 07:04:41 PM »
as i allude to in another post, this is not a modernisation agenda, it is a repurcussion agenda hidden behind the sinister mask of savings, and yes i did make that up!

support starts at home, but your brothers and sisters throughout the uk will support any actions the members decide is appropriate.

dave bev

guest 45

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 03:49:18 PM »
How is this dirty tricks when it appears to me that the chief is creating 39 new posts to allow people to be promoted into them instead of making them civilian posts and reducing promotion prospects of ranks within Strathclyde- I have heard that these posts are being filled with civilians elsewhere ?

The Truth

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 07:51:50 PM »
Very clever to tie up the new managers posts with rank to role. Read the agreement. All 15 year station officers who move to watch manager A take a 3k dip.

Offline The Truth

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 08:08:29 PM »
Rank to Role assimilation is predominantly a national issue.

guest 45

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 04:45:30 PM »
I'm confused- I was speaking about Station Manager and not watch manager, as you mentioned.

In relation to rank to role- if this is not rank to role- what is your point?

Offline dave bev

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 10:26:25 PM »
guest 45 may have an inside line to the policy makers and their propoganda? and the threat of civilianising posts that dont actually exist yet if the process doesnt proceed is not a nice way to behave!
if there is a genuine will here then the whole process can be managed in the 'feel fair' way initially envisaged AND suggested by the employers representatives in the njc sub group

dave bev

Guest 45

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 10:21:09 AM »
Sorry Dave, but I think i should clarify my last points.

This is not rank to role as it is a new post with new shift systems involved (Non- flexi ADO)

Other Brigades have civilianised this role- I don't see that as a threat but a simple fact of how they perceive this role.

If you remember the meeting you attended at cowcaddens- our Union said they would not talk to management on these posts and actually put out a letter urging personnel not to apply for them!
My opinion is that this is not a nice way to behave.

If management have already agreed that these jobs are required and if everybody listened to the union and no-one applied for the jobs (fat chance), what option do management have but to civilianise the post.

Strathclyde Junior Officers now have more promotion prospects due to the creation of these posts which should be welcomed.

I totally agree that this should be managed in a 'feel fair' way as you describe it, but it takes  both side to achieve this and not talking to management and telling people not to go for jobs is not the best way to go about it.

Offline dave bev

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 12:11:12 PM »
guest, i'm glad we agree that this is not a nice way for the authority to behave.

if it isnt a role based position then why were the posts identified as 'station managers' a role quite clearly defined by a role map within the role structure? it appeared to be a method of introducing role without having made the move from rank! is that not r2r?

if it was a restructure and they were uniformed posts then they needed to be positioned within the rank structure. which i understand they have now done? if in fact they have done that does that put that particular issue to bed?

if the posts are deemed to be 'civilianised' (an awful term, is there one better we could use as it creates barriers and seems to attempt to demean people) then that is a matter for the authority. if this meant a reduction in the establishment then it becomes an issue for the rep bodies. if this impacts on those represented by the rep bodies then it again becomes an issue for those rep bodies.

if i remember correctly at the meeting, those present actually instructed the brigade reps to speak to 'principal management' re this issue. whether the dialogue was two way is a matter for those involved to determine, certainly not me. i also understand that it was because of dialogue, which also involved some at national level, that some issues were resolved?

the issue of no-one applying is an important issue. to suggest to those people they represent to apply for posts that are outside of the national agreements would surely be remiss of those officials. so i think they seem to be behaving exactly as i would expect them to behave in trying to protect their members. we all have personal views but they cease to exist when acting in a different capacity. if the brigade are restructuring without negotiation it seems to be a strange way of delivering change management, even bono would be a little confused as to why they chose that method? (ps edward de bono - he of the six hats - and not the singer!!)

the hidden message of 'if you dont apply we will civilianise' (i suggest message as opposed to threat may be a better use of language under these circumstances) is not particularly helpful at this moment. there is enough uncertainty and concern about the future already (which i think you recognise).

i alluded in an earlier post that by talking and working together a lot of these 'misunderstandings' can be resolved. a point you quite rightly try to emphasise. the njc has recognised this and introduced a series of meetings where the benefits of working together can be examined and hopefully introduced. i hope that your brigade and the fbu officials attend and gain some benefit for all!

in finishing i think i need to point out, as i have done many times, that when i respond on here i do so as dave beverley and not in my capacity as an fbu rep, the line i may take when acting in an 'unofficial capacity' may not be the same when i am representing others as best i can in the way they may ask me to represent them. i think this could be applied to your officials, and can only believe they are trying to do their best in representing their members best interests, (and interestingly therefore the best interests of the brigade) for both the current and the future

dave bev