Author Topic: 'Fruit company' devises as smoke detectors?  (Read 22197 times)

Offline nearlythere

Re: 'Fruit company' devises as smoke detectors?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »
I'm not averse to change. I quite like being able to email pictures without having to uuencode them first.

Just not sure about other people emailing my smoke detectors or how I update the antivirus on them.

Good to hear, the user case needs to be improved but the scope this technology has is very exciting. Light wakes children up better than a higher frequency smoke detector, so why not link your smoke detector to your lights? Its easy to do.

FWIW these devices are controlled by the cloud so no user interaction needed in terms of viruses.

I love this sort of technology, my lights are all controlled by my phone, as is my heating and my stereo and my security camera.

Nerd!
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Tom W

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 05:24:19 PM »
haha

Nerd is kool these days so i'l take that  8)

Offline Owain

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 11:36:57 PM »
Light wakes children up better than a higher frequency smoke detector, so why not link your smoke detector to your lights? Its easy to do.

Because I don't have children? I do have two automatic emergency lights though for when the mains electricity fails.

FWIW these devices are controlled by the cloud so no user interaction needed in terms of viruses.

Exactly, they can catch viruses with no user interaction needed :-)

I love this sort of technology, my lights are all controlled by my phone, as is my heating and my stereo and my security camera.

Dialling 222 on the house phones rings 'emergency' bells and dialling 333 connects to voice paging.

A slightly more advanced (?) form of system:

http://www.dfrtelecoms.org.uk/mc001.htm

Offline Tom W

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
Servers are generally kept in numerous locations in numerous countries so viruses can't really effect a static server.

Have you read how the nest smoke and co detector works?

"It's based on standard photoelectric tech that sees smoke by shining beams through a "smoke chamber" and detecting how much light gets scattered by airborne particles within. Traditional photoelectric detectors use infrared light with a wavelength above 700nm?and so does the Protect. This works well for detecting large smoke particles of 250nm, but burning items like pine wood or newspaper produce smaller particles of only 50nm.

So the Nest Protect adds an additional blue LED, which shines light at around 400nm. As a Nest whitepaper puts it, "When smoke particles are very small, shorter wavelengths of light, like blue, scatter light many times more efficiently than longer wavelengths like infrared."

Nest calls this system a "Split Spectrum Sensor" and says that the algorithm used to tune it was built from "several hundred data sets, covering a wide range of fire types, including smouldering fires, flaming fires, and nuisance situations."

"Thanks to its built-in humidity sensor, the Protect had an easy time with the steam; it didn't trigger once. (Other photoelectric combos triggered between 30 and 80 percent of the time.) Likewise, the burnt toast tripped ionisation-based detectors 80 percent of the time; the Protect didn't alarm once. (The boiling and frying hamburger tests tripped all detectors a significant percentage of the time, including the Protect.)"

So faster detection and vastly better at false alarms yet because it has one feature where it can be linked to a phone you don't trust it?

Google own nest, how many times have googles servers been taken down by attacks?

Offline Fire Monkey

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 08:50:19 AM »
Hi,

Just heard of a new devise that is a voice controlled personal assistant (you know like that South American based river management company or that firm that produces protective eye wear for deputy swimmers only - in fact I think their software is installed in the device) that is designed to be installed hard wired on a ceiling and is a 'smart' smoke and CO2 detector but also responds to voice commands and can play your music, tell you the weather at Fort William and control the smart devices in you home.

Such a device could have a practical application in that instead of a beeping smoke detector sleeping young children could be woken up a soothing female voice that is more likely to rise them. Also it might encourage some to actually fit a smoke detector. My initial concern though is coverage - some may think that one devise, fitted in the room they are mostly likely to give voice commands, is enough coverage for their property - this means this unit may not end up being installed in the room with the higher risk such as a kitchen and would only provide coverage one floor. I would trust the installation instructions would give suitable installation instructions and not locate the device right next to a wall or beam.

What are the other implications or considerations?

FM